Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:55 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Canon i9900. I had an S900 and it served me well for many years (3) going to 3 printheads and printing thousands of pages. I think I purchased at least 4 or 5 WeInk.com Manual Refill Kits from them during that period.

I design, print, and assemble CDs for artists and bands. I also do press kits, photos, and anything else anyone needs done. At college, people came to me for their print needs. My solution is affordable, fast, and looks brilliant. A band might ask me for 100 CDs with full jewel cases and artwork. Each CD is about 3.5 pages of full color printing. The S900 served well. I still have it. It came time for another printhead. Instead of investing yet another $80 on a printhead, I put that money towards the i9900 purchase. I didn't even have to think twice about it. Steve's review just backed up my decision. The printer was $380 from Amazon.com with free shipping. I use WeInk so those 8 tanks it came with were eBay'd for $80. If you consider the printhead a consumable at $100, the printer base along comes down to about $200. Who can beat that for this kind of quality and speed?

I solely use Red River Paper. Most artists like their 2-Sided Semigloss, that looks and feels like magazine stock, but thicker. Some like Premium Matte. Regardless, they get amazing results.

I purchase jewel cases and media from Meritline. They've been the cheapest (although their shipping isn't) so far. Taiyo Yuden media quality is GREAT for digital audio. Meritline's labels produce brilliant images... and the stock is thin so the CD barely looks labeled.

I still use an X-Acto knife and a stainless steel straight-edge to crop all of my prints. I have yet to come across a paper cutter that can crop to needlepoint precision... So if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

I thought I'd share this bit with you all... and I'm up for comments and suggestions.
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links