Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:43 AM   #1

Have just purchased Epson R1800.

Having problems with printing panoramas over 1 metre (if metric) or 45 inches (if imperial units selected) long. These are .tiff files in the region of 80 - 100 Mb. By changing units to inches in user defined paper size can getthis extra 5 inches.

Have tried with PhotoshopCS, print with preview, user defined, A3+ this gives error message. Same message with any print over 1 metre or 45 inches, regardless of paper width.

Also tried using Epson Photo Quicker. This does not give me a roll feed option.

I previously had an Epson 1290, similar problems, so have limited my pano prints to 1,0 metre. Was hoping the more modern R1800 would not have similar problems.

Can anyone suggest a fix or different software please?
liningiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2

liningiv

Epson limits the print length to 44 inches for panoramas.

I have heard that QImage will print longer than 44 inches on the Epson printers, but I am not completely sure of that. The number that I heard was somewhere around 120 inches.

You might want to check the QImage area of this site for more info.

Also, QImage is a great printing software. I have been using it for about 2 years now, and is that only thing that I print from to my Epson 2400.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:56 AM   #3

Under Windows XP, the print driver for the R1800 will let me set a user-defined length of 129 inches for roll paper. QImage lets me tile a longer image over multiple "pages" with no gaps.

Ken
kenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4

kenww wrote:
Quote:
Under Windows XP, the print driver for the R1800 will let me set a user-defined length of 129 inches for roll paper. QImage lets me tile a longer image over multiple "pages" with no gaps.

Ken
Thanks Ken,

This sounds an ideal solution, but I am already running XP with PhotoShop CS, could you please explain how this is achieved. Currently when I print with preview and select any size over 44 inches or 99,99cm I get an error. I am guessing that you size and prepare the print usingPS for example, file the image, and then drag the file to the printer icon on the XP desktop?

Would I then loose the print with preview functionality?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5

When I go to set up the R1800 printer from Photoshop CS, I get the dialog

When I select User Defined, I get the dialog

This lets me select a paper height of 129.00 inches.

Ken

Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:32 AM   #6

Hi Ken and thanks again.

Nothing different to what I am doing. But if I select 10000+ in metric or 45+ in imperial as the user defined paper height, when I press OK to return to print with preview window I get the program error. If I do exactly the same with the same file but select 9999 or less in metric or 44 or less in imperial I get my print.

Panos this big are rarely required as the frame and pas partout costs are massive, but looks like I will have to stay with this size limit until maybe I try CS2?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:58 AM   #7

I"ve been thinking about it and may have used QImage Pro for all my longer prints rather than printing them directly from Photoshop. With QImage I can tile the image across multiple pages if it is longer than 129 inches. QImage Pro is cheaper than a Photoshop upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:45 AM   #8

I found this board recently and am having the same issues- I need to print 6" by 70" and am having problems with the paper size.

The Epson documentation says you can only print 44". Fine.

But why can you select a USER DEFINED size of up to 129" in the print driver?

So how can you do this. I dont want to queue my file and print half of it only to have it stop after 44"

Any help would be appreciated

Ryan
Attached Images

rfoxphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:51 PM   #9

I think the issue is that prior to windows XP, the driver only supported 44 inch long paper. Rather than make the documentation complex, it just says 44 inches to be safe.

Ken Walker
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:16 PM   #10

Hi

I have the R1800 and have had no problems printing collages up to and over 90" using Collagemaker by Galleria software then saving the image as either a .jpg or a .tiff and then printing it out with ULead Photo Express 6.0

---Dave
BudRacing is offline   Reply With Quote