Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:40 PM   #11

Hi I have been having all kinds of trouble with prints with the Canon i9900 and Magenta color casts or faded prints.

First here is my info so we can move beyond the suggestions of checking all the settings etc.
Canon i9900, Powerbook G4, Photoshop CS2, print with canon photo paper pro. My powerbook is color profiled using the Spyder. I use CS2 for my image editing and processing and use the Adobe RGB 1998 color space.

Now - I am getting a magenta color cast on my prints both on the prints and when I proof in the Canon print software. Others are too see this thread.

I suspect as do others that there is a problem with the Canon i9900 print driver and CS2. Because I can edit in CS2 save the file and open and print it using Canon's Easy Photo Print with excellent results matching whats on screen. However I cannot to this day get a good print from CS2 letting Photoshop handle CM and choosing my paper profile for the photo paper pro and then in the Canon print window setting it as described in the Canon ICC profile guide. http://homepage.mac.com/renard/ls/Ca...file_Guide.pdf

Is anyone else having these problems? If so please post! We need to get to the bottom of this and get a solution - as you all know the ink and custom papers are very expensive. And the time we are spending on this quite a lot. We need to figure out a way to address this.
5lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:38 PM   #12

I too have had a lot of problems with this not only in Photoshop but occasionally in other programs such as Picasa. I have an ip8500 which is similar to the 9900.

One setting that I found fixed the problem for methat isn't mentioned anywhere is to check the "Color Management" tab in the printer properties and see that it is set to 'Automatic' -- This tab isn't usually visible when you look at properties while trying to print something; you need to go to the Printers control panel (Start->ControlPanel->Printers and Faxesand open properties on theprint driveritself.

Somehow mine was set to 'Manual' with one of the paper ICC's set; changing it to 'Automatic' resolved my problem. Windows was applying a profile even though the Color Adjustment menu was set to Manual->none... this was reflected in the print preview window. And like you mentioned, using easy photo print didn't have this problem.

Good Luck!

scrawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:05 PM   #13

When you print to photoshop with your Canon i9900, don't use the print preview function inside the driver. If you do so, then your picture looks (and prints) with a magenta cast. I don't know why it does that, but if you disable print preview (while maintaining other parameters and monitor calibration correct), then the print looks almost like what you see on screen. Hope this works out!
martindurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:56 PM   #14

Ok everyone.... This is going to be a very low-tech reply, but hear me out.

I have been messing with the settings on this printer (9900i) for over a year and could NOT figure out how to get rid of the magenta covered prints. I have gone through every setting within windows and within the canon software. I have found that my prints turn out fine if I just do one very important thing.

The settings (when printing photos) MUST be set to "Photo Paper Pro" ANY other setting (for me) results in magenta prints. I have been doing test printsmessing withthe settings for over an hour...TRYING to get magenta prints (with the paper set to Photo Paper Pro). I can't do it.

The prints immediately turn back to my FAVORITE magenta color when I change the paper setting. I really hope this helps. Best of luck.
tobiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:25 PM   #15

I have calibrated my monitor and my i9900 printer with OPTIX xr. The monitor's calib. are loaded when windows bootup. But where and how do I use the printer cal?

My prints are always darker than on screen 2-3 shades darker.

Thanks,

Cliff Leonard
cliff46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:24 AM   #16

I have to admit that most of you have lost me technically here but I have had the i9950 (european version) for two years and from time to time it seems to have a mind of its own. A dark line at the end of each print, pixellation, strange tones, you name it and it has done it. I have been printing a lot lately after two big motor races here in June and July and I find that if the printer is used regularly it seems to behave, if not, anything can and does happen. I have just printed about 100 13x19 prints with not a problem, but leave the printer a month and we'll see. I wonder if your printers are behaving badly for the same reason? Please don't criticise my thinking because I am only trying to help, but technically, as previously said, you are way in front of me, all of you.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:49 PM   #17

It may be something as simple as the wrong ink cartridge in the wrong slot (I noticed that in anoter thread regarding this). Using my settings, I've never had a problem (& it's set to use the Canon Pro Paper).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:03 AM   #18

How right you are Kalypso! I switched the PC & PM cartridges once and almost tore my hair out trying to find out what was wrong!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:42 AM   #19

I am having the exact same problem. I could live with just using Easy-Photo Print solutions, but the prints are coming out too dark, losing a lot of shadow detail.
jazzlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:12 PM   #20

Hello folks,

Just bought a Canon printer switching from Epson for a number of reasons. I bought Canon paper as well. I decided to learn how to make the best possible prints I can at home having also bought my first DSLR.

I have read this thread as well as many others on other forums on this problem and still can not get as good a result from PS as I did with my Epson. I have burned through about 50 8x11's trying to solve this.

EZPhotoPrint has the best printed image I have seen yet. Much better than Photoshop. There is no magenta in things like drop shadows, for example on print borders, which I find to be an excellent test for the magenta problem.

I get much better results from PS if I use Printer Color Management.

Now, a few basic questions if I may.

Should one convert an image in PS to CYMK before printing? I get better results doing this. And viewing in PS with the CYMK working proof setup seems best to me on my monitor and most like what I wish to see printed.

I see no difference converting the image from native 72 DPI to 300 DPI. Agree this is not necessary to change?

I have ALWAYS had black point compensation on. Should that be disabled? Would it help with the magenta in grays?

And I have always used Perceptual. Is Relative Colormetric preferred? Why if so?

Now, it seems that the Canon Image Preview can change dramatically based on settings, though sometimes it is very close to what is printed and sometimes not.

My best printing results are from EZPhotoPrint.

Second best are converting to CYMK and Printer Color Management, but grays have magenta fringe.

RGB with same settings as CYMK has the whole image more magenta.

Using profiles for print and proof in PS are always not as good as printer color management.

So, trying some suggestions from above I find:

Using PRO for paper settings even though I print to PLUS - no good. Still magenta.

No preview - Believe it or not, this helps the magenta problem a bit. Not as good as EZPhotoPrint.

Absolute Colormetric as opposed to Perceptual - Horrible.

CYMK as opposed to RGB - better in grays, but image still a touch magenta.

So best results so far are EZPrint, then CYMK, Printer Management, Auto, High, and Photo Optimizer Pro effect checked! This reduces magenta a bit and is closer to EZPrint. And last, works better with Black Point Compensation off. I can live with this, but wish it matched EZPrint. I almost need driver settings for not only each media, but each possible program I print from. Life is too short :^)

UPDATE:

Just tried my favorite settings after closing PS and tring again and the results are different that the first print with identical settings. Shifted a little magenta again. So even trying to match a previous setting's result is dicey.

AND, I much prefer the results on Photo Glossy Plus rather than PRO. The pro is not as white and shifts a bit yellow. Plus is cleaner looking, but not as heavy-weight.

Will try a few more things today, but this is frustrating. SO MANY interactive choices in PS and Canon driver. Any suggestions appreciated.

rebop is offline   Reply With Quote