Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1

Let me get right to the meat of this problem before filling in my personal details and efforts:

I own a Canon i9900 and so far, it prints photos beautifully from Easy-PhotoPrint, but printing from Photoshop CS2 using ICM is not working. Basically, the prints are Magenta. Very Magenta. This is a problem I've seen come up in other threads on this forum (see links below). Unfortunately, the solutions either do not work, or the thread issue was unresolved. A secondary problem is that the colors are muted when I let the Printer do the color management. Thisseems tobespecific to non sRGB images

Now, the formalities...my "street cred" as it were

- My monitor is calibrateds (with a Spyder2)
- The printer hardware itself is functional, and Canon's own Easy-PhotoPrint produces perfect, spot-on prints which also rules out incorrectly installed or misplaced ink cartridges.
- I'm here after two evening's worth of trial-and-error using every official and unofficial solution I could find on the internet and any variation I could think of. I'm not an experienced Color Management guru, but I do know how to follow directions and am well versed in computers and software to put it lightly.
- My driver was updated to the most current version halfway through testing with no improvement

I did search these forums prior to making this topic, and found the following related threads:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40

-- This thread has images of the problem, but died beforethe problemwas ever resolved.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=56

-- This thread was apparently resolved, but the solution presented here, as well as in the elusive Canon_ICC_Profile_Guide.pdf doesn't work for me.

Let me walk you through my printing process, which is derived from the steps found in threads here, on other sites, and in Canon's official ICC guide:

Photoshop
1. CS2 working space is Adobe RGB
2. I open my image in Photoshop CS2, which happens to be an Adobe RGB image brought in from Adobe Camera Raw.
3.File->Print with Preview...
4. In the ColorHandling section I choose "Let Photoshop Determine Colors"
5. In Printer Profile I choose "Canon i9900 SP1" (I'm printing on Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy) with a Perceptual rendering intent.

Printer Drivers (as per Canon_ICC_Profile_Guide.pdf)
6. I start by setting Print Quality to Custom, Quality 1, with Diffusion dithering.
7. Color Adjustment is set to Manual, Color Balance at neutral (0), and Enable ICM is unchecked withPrint Type set to None.
8. I checkmark "Preview before Printing" (paper is expensive), and print it off.

At this point the preview pops up and shows the same familiar magenta cast. I have printed one out to verify that the magenta cast shows up in the print, since then I've just been going by the driver's print-preview. If I switch gears and make the appropriate changes to allow the printer to handle color management, the magenta is gone but the color is muted... which... hmm...

I think I justdiscovered something, actually, and I thinkit is rather inportant if it applies to anyone else with an i9900:

I think there's some incompatibility between Photoshop CS2 and Canon's i9900 driver. Either that, or the i9900 driver is half-broken at best. Perhaps it's a combination of the two.

As I was writing this, I made kind of a surprising discovery. In Canon's DPP, trying to print with DPP's color management, I get results exactly as they are in Photoshop. But if I disablecolor managementin DPP (by selecting NONE as the printer profile), and enable driver-based CM, my Adobe RGB RAW image prints perfectly. It seems DPP will correctly pass the Adobe RGB profile to the driver to be converted to a printer-friendly colorspace.

I find this interesting, but very unfortunately as it leads me to believe Photoshop does not pass the colorspace information to the driver. If I tell Photoshop to let the Printer handle the colors, then everything is assumed to be sRGB regardless of what colorspace the image is tagged with.I can see the all-too-familiar muted colorsone cansee whenviewing an Adobe RGB image in an environment that assumes it is sRGB. If you want to see what I mean, save an Adobe RGB JPEG and view it in Internet Explorer. Further evidence of this can be seen in the "Print with Preview" dialog itself. With my working space set to Adobe RGB, I hit "Print with Preview", and look at the preview in the page layout section... I see muted colors. It appears the Adobe RGB colorspace profile hasn't even made it this far.Odd. Is Photoshop CS2 broken?

Anyway, I've been at this for hours. If anyone has any information or advice, please let me know! I would like to be able to print directly from photoshop rather than exporting and printing elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
LindyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:40 PM   #2

Here's some handy info on Canon ICC profiles:

http://homepage.mac.com/renard/ls/Ca...file_Guide.pdf

I've found that setting up my i9900 printer using the "Printing using intents" ( & saving the profile for quick retrieval) works best for me.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:31 AM   #3

Thank you for the response, Kalypso! But, I did mention in my opening post that I have that particular PDF and have followed it.

I will, however, make one more run through the "Rendering with Intents" section you mentioned and see if that makes any difference.

One note though is that I have no trouble printing sRGB images through Photoshop CS2. It's when I try printing Adobe RGB images that the problems occur. Have you had any success printing non-sRGB images?

It just seems that no matter what I do, the printer always assumes the incoming colorspace is sRGB. Since my post yesterday, I've also tried ACDSee, DPPand Qimage with similar results. They all give me the magenta cast, and the best I can get through printer color management is either the magenta or the muted colors that are commonplace with a profile mismatch.

Still working on this and any future thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4

I only print using the Adobe Colorspace. I'll see if I can get you a screen capture of my settings when I can get on my main computer!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:19 PM   #5

Here's my settings.

:O
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:51 PM   #6

Ok...here's my settings (& they work perfectly as long as I'm using the Canon Pro paper). I see quite a few differences in our settings......
Attached Images

Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the help with this. I'll give your settings another try. I'll bite the bullet and actually start wasting paper on prints, rather than relying on canon's print preview. It's a shame I can't seem to get the paper-profile specific settings to work. What if I buy non-canon paper and want touse a custom profile? Boo!

Whether it works out or not,thanks again.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:56 AM   #8

I would like you to post your results even if it does or doesn't work.....it's always helpful to others!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:10 AM   #9

thank you all for your insights on discussing the i9900 and printing issues with CS2. I just started working with the i9900 used to use the Epson 2200 I have also just converted over to using a mac system.

Anyhow my settings mirror those posted by Kalypso after having problems with the magenta color cast after allowing CS2 to handle CM. I am not familar with enable ICM what exactly does that do? My prints now look excellent - though blues are tremendously over saturated. other wise the look excellent. Any ideas? Should I be using the Enble ICM function?

thanks,
steve
5lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:36 AM   #10

I have a similar problem.* My prints keep coming out dull and dark.* Nothing like what I see on the screen.* I don't use a calibration tool right now, but I still should get good prints out of Photoshop.* I'm using a PowerBook G4 and PS2 with I9900 printer.* I have a question on whether I should use the ColorSync settings or standard settings.* Any thoughts would be appreciated.**Thanks,MGD
bydesignmgd is offline   Reply With Quote