Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:16 PM   #1

Default Canon i9100 vs Epson 2200

What is the best printer for photography between the Canon i9100 and the Epson 2200?
huskermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:26 PM   #2

both produce an excellent image. the 2200 has a wider color gamut and greater print longevity due to pigment based inks vs the canons dye inks. also the 2200 has fairly advanced roll paper handling and auto cutting.

it all depends on your needs. at 25 years i wouldn't sneeze at a 9100.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 4:14 PM   #3

I have also been debating between the Epson 2200 and the i9100, mainly over cost. I called Dell to see if they were carrying the Epson-they were either not carrying it or it was out of stock; if figured if i didn't like it I'd send it back. I made a mention of the i9100, and the rep stated he had someone order the i9100 about 10 minutes before I called in. Dell has it available (not online, you must call in) and ships in 5-7 days for $470.95. Mine will ship on or before the 23rd of April.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 7:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the information on the Canon i9100 at Dell. The idea of 4800 x 1200 resolution with 6 individual color ink tanks has my interest in the i9100. Still thinking about the Epson 2200 with the wide variety of papers and 7th color. Went to the Nikon digital camera school and most of the photographers swear by Epson.
huskermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 8:39 PM   #5

I currently have the S800 and love it. I am upgrading to the i9100 because of the faster speed and larger print sizes. My wife is into scrapbooking and with the pictures we take with my G3, she can make her own background pages.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:35 AM   #6

Default How is the Canon i9100 for printing on non photographic pape

How is the Canon i9100 for printing on non photographic paper - ie card stock and specialty art papers. Can it compete with the Epson 2200 for that purpose?? I am not a photographer, but rather an artist and will want to print cards and copies of my paintings in addition to family photos. From some reading I have done it sounds like the ink may last longer on non glossy paper - is this true?. Longevity is not the only issue for me, but the quality of the printout on matte and art papers.
sbstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:59 PM   #7

I have not tried any other papers yet as I just got my i9100 last week, but I have been most impressed with the print from me Canon G3 on the 13x19 Canon Photo Paper Pro and the 8.5x11 Canon Matte Photo Paper; after dropping $470 on this and some other expensed that have come unexpectedly, I really cannot afford the higher priced papers like the velvet fine art paper right now.

Canon was supposed to release the i9100 in May so I wasn't too suprised when my Dell order was delayed twice, but I could have choked when I looked back as saw that it had changed to July 11! I went and looked at Canon's web site and they had changed it from now availiable (in June) to available July.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:02 PM   #8
Administrator

Default Re: How is the Canon i9100 for printing on non photographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstudio
How is the Canon i9100 for printing on non photographic paper - ie card stock and specialty art papers. Can it compete with the Epson 2200 for that purpose?? I am not a photographer, but rather an artist and will want to print cards and copies of my paintings in addition to family photos. From some reading I have done it sounds like the ink may last longer on non glossy paper - is this true?. Longevity is not the only issue for me, but the quality of the printout on matte and art papers.
For these kinds of needs you want the Epson 2200, Canon's support of non-photo paper is practically non-existant. Plus the Epson 2200 has the straight-thru feed for thicker media and those pigmented inks can print on a lot of different surfaces.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote