Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:31 PM   #1

Does anyone know what the largest "Wide Format" printer is that is refillable via the consumer?

I know the manufacturers hate "Continuos Inking Systems" but with the sky-high costs of OEM inks/carts, consumers are going the "refillable ink" route in high numbers.
I'm interested in the Epson 4800 which can print 17" wide and accepts rolls of very long length- but I can't seem to find an "ink" solution that doesn't require $130 single ink carts (and you need 8!!!)

Anyone have any info on any wide format printer that's refillable? (any manufacturer)
Thanks
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 7:52 AM   #2

You can buy a set of empty refillable cartridges for about $120 to $180, depending on your printer model. The ink should cost $18 per 4 oz bottle. Expect the ink to work just as well as the OEM inks or better. You do need to flush the printer and get rid of the OEM inks for the switch.

Okay, I have the photo uploaded. It may look a bit different. Let me know if this helps.

Attached Images

CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:54 AM   #3

You can buy a set of empty refillable cartridges for about $120 to $180, depending on your printer model. The ink should cost $18 per 4 oz bottle. Expect the ink to work just as well as the OEM inks or better. You do need to flush the printer and get rid of the OEM inks for the switch.

Old May 29, 2006, 11:30 AM   #4

If you are paying that much for a printer I think a CIS system would be your best buy compared to constantly refilling small cartridges. They are pretty reasonable anymore: http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R2400

If your secret location is in the UK this looks like a better deal if the ink is good: http://www.colourtools.co.uk/colorvantage/cis-pgmnt.htm

To directly answer your question, Canon cartridges are very easy to refill. The i9900 still uses the old ink without chips and they are a snap. Even with the new Chromalife ink and chips you just lose your ink warning, unlike Epson that shuts the printer down when it calculates the ink is empty.

the Canon iPF5000 has a 12 color pigmented ink system with 130ml tanks, which would make refilling practical. I don't know about availability of ink for it though. Canon has been really stubborn about limiting their width to 24 inches since they don't make roll or panorama paper. I would check to make sure they didn't limit their 17 inch printers from printing panoramas.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:39 PM   #5

The wide format for 4800comes in 200 ml or 300 ml capacity for reserve. CIS with this type of capacity are available only from a few suppliers, don't appear IR has it. I mignt have seen it at Lyson or Media Street. These specialized systems are likely to cost a lot more than the desktop CIS. The 100 ml R2400 desktop version will not work on the 4800.

By the way, does anyone know how I can remove the duplicate post?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:34 PM   #6

about the large format printing ink. there is also dye/pigment ink water-based/solvent ink. for indoor and outdoor.

contact with me taylor_aeicei@yahoo.com.cn
taylor.m is offline   Reply With Quote