Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

I've just bought a new Canon i9950 A3 inkjet printer (I already have a Pixma 4000 by canon, and never had a problem). The i9950's very easy to set up, so it was ready within minutes, but from the very first print I tried I have black lines ruining my prints. I tried cleaning the cartridges just the once (as the colour was fine), and removed the printhead a couple of times, and noticed it has ink smeared all around it, which seems to be coming off and wrecking my printouts. I've run about three dozen test prints, and none of them are free of this excess ink, even though I've physically cleaned up the printhead on three occasions.

Has anyone else had problems with this? I'm using standard media and tested it with thin inkjet paper - nothing thick which possibly could cause problems. I've reported the fault to canon, but stocks are low in the UK so I cannot recieve a replacement until over a week - unfortunately I have some critical A3 prints that I must deliver in the mean time, but I'm wasting pounds in media trying to get a print without these black lines being spread at random onto my artwork.
zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2

Buy a new black cartridge. You will be able to use it with the replacement printer. The most common reason for that sort of ink leakage is that the cartridge isn't completely sealed. Run a few plain paper prints through it to get the excess ink cleaned up.

If that doesn't help I would have the prints made commercially if you need them immediately.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:55 PM   #3

Appreciate the reply. I do have a spare black, so I will give it a try. Fingers crossed that's the reason.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

Just tried a new black ink cartridge, and unfortunately I still have the same problems so I'll have to wait until the replacement arrives.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Administrator

More than likely it is a print head problem. Canon should send you a replacement to see if it fixes the problem. It is an easyuser-replaceable part so it won't take long to determine if that is the culprit or not.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 9:21 AM   #6

Just a very random idea but as desperation appears to be setting in..

- Check that the rubber seals that sit around the ink post haven't fallen out or got some kind of fouling that would cause a poor seal with the cartridge

- Check the cleaning pad (far right where the inkhead rests) to see if there's a deposit of ink sitting in it. Sometimes printers don't exhaust the cleaning ink properly and you end up with a gunge in this spot which fouls in the manner you describe.. (For all that though, if this is a new printer I'd hope this wasn't the cause!).

I'd also contact Canon and point out that a printhead and or cartridges would appear to be the root cause so see if they can dispatch spares to resolve the issue that way... That shouldn't be affected by their shortage of printers..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:42 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies!

In the end they replaced it, and I've not had a single problem since!