Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 22, 2006, 11:18 AM   #11
Administrator

So far zero clogs

The Stylus Photo R1800, even though it lacks a Light Black ink, is very good at making high quality black & white prints on glossy, matte and fine art media. However, if B&W prints are your main thing, I would recommend the older Stylus Photo 2200 over the R1800.

I haven't heard anything from Canon yet either ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:12 PM   #12

Great to hear about your "no clogs." That is actually my biggest concern with the Epson now that I know it does print text. Some people have said that it clogs if they don't print really often. I print text about 2 or 3 times a week, but print pictures maybe a batch a couple times a month. It can be several at a time, but it might be a while before I print pictures again. Do you think I will have a clog issue?

B&W is not my main thing. I do a few now and then, but I am more interested in color. I prefer glossy B&W prints, and my current Canon does a prettygood job at that (although only 8x10) even though it doesn't have a gray ink. I gave my daughter a Canon 4000 about a year agoand I am truly amazed at how good it does with 5 inks on an 8x10 - especially in color, buteven in B&W. Still the ink fades in ashort timeunframed (6 to 8 months at my office - flourescent lights, but it could also be chemical ozone attack).

If Canon doesn't say or do something soon, I will probablygo with the Epson.

Thanks for your help.
discern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 5:28 PM   #13

I want to correct something. I now think that the print in my office that faded in 6 to 8 months was printed with series 3 inks, not the series 6 inks in my daughter's printer. Sorry. I think Ihave an unframed picture printed with my daughters printer (and series 6 inks) that looks about like it did when it was printed and that was about a year ago. It is also in a room with flourescent and partial sun light. I compared it to a print in the album and it looked similar. It has faded a little, but you wouldn't notice it without comparing to the one in the album, which I assume hasn't changed. It sure would have been nice if I had noted what printer I used when I made the prints. I only use Canon paper and inks.

I also want to point out that we are down to 19 stores with the i9900 in stock listed on CNET. A Japanese web site says that they expect to be selling the new printer in July. I don't know if US and Japan will start at the same time.
discern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:45 AM   #14

I have been using the R1800 to print wedding photos. There has never been an issue with clogs.

Even with the 3 party ink with my bulk ink system. My printer works fine.

R1800 is definitely the printer for printing photos.
CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 3:00 AM   #15

CK,

Who's ink do you use?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:27 PM   #16

I boughtthe inkat www.efillink.comwith the Ink System Pro.

They also have a support site showing installation videos at www.inkfillshop.com

The ink is excellent, they sell it as the Ultimate Pigment Inks, I think it is a little better than Epson. The clear is not as glossy. Epson is better with the gloss.

I use their Ink System Pro and had a little problem when the system was placed too high, found out the system has to be at slightly below the cartridges. I have been able to produce excellent photos. I have so much fun with this, it is unbelivable.

The R1800 is such a wonderful printer.If yourememberhow expensive the PC used to be,this printer is a bargain. The complete system with ink from efillink.com is cheaper than the empty system you find elsewhere. My system was easy to set up after seeing their videos on the web site.
CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:32 AM   #17

Thanks for the info.

I have a Canon i9900 and will consider the Epson R1800for the future.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:23 PM   #18

Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Please be informed of the following update on our launch schedule of the
PIXMA Pro 9000 and Pro9500, announced as of February 21, 2006.

Regarding the PIXMA Pro9000, we are planning to launch this product in
October 2006.

Unfortunately, however, due to a delay in the product's development, we
regret to announce that we are unable to launch the PIXMA Pro9500 within
this year including its relevant consumable products. Detailed schedule
will be announced at a later date.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

**This is the email that I received from canon today**
JWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:24 PM   #19

I have an Epson 1800 ,works great for photos and all other print jobs
tractordoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote