Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 6, 2006, 2:18 PM   #1

My current printer is starting to have real problems, so I am looking to buy a new printer. I had thought that when the new Canon Pro 9000 came out that I would buy it, but it looks likemy current printerwill be fail beforethe 9000actually starts shippingand I think I am going to need something soon.

I really wanted the longer ink life of the Chromalife inks, so the i9900 isn't a goodoption.

No offense to any HP fans, but I don't likeHP.

I want to be able to print 11X14 inch photos, but I also need a printer that will print text since I don't have room for both a text printer and a photoprinter.

How well does the R1800 print text?
discern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2

The Epson R1800 is a excellent printer for photo and for text. The pigment ink is fade resistant and moisture resistant.

I am using the printer with a bulk ink system and bulk pigment ink. I am now printing photos without worrying about the cost of OEM cartridges. If you print a lot of photos, R1800 is one of the best.
CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 3:47 PM   #3

Thanks

Old May 8, 2006, 6:50 PM   #4

discern

For printing text this might get expensive. As this printer is really setup for photos, the black cartridge is not that large.

If that is not a problem, then it should do everything that you want. I have its big brother, the R2400 and it prints nice text. I have done text with images, and it does a nice job. It might not be the fastest at this, but it works.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5

What you said about long life is now Epson R1800 could give you. As long as you use a good pigment ink. Dye ink could sometimes spread on the paper you are printing on, it gives a not so clean line on the page. Pigment ink prints almost like a laser printer. It produces clean lines.

I use a bulk ink with my R1800, the photos comes out perfect.

The paper feed needs to be adjusted, it sometimes scratches the glossy surface of my photo. I need to learnhow to make the adjustment.

You can even print from a roll and make banners. I see posting on certain forum saying the limit is 44 inches long.

CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Administrator

And don't forget that it also prints CD/DVD discs too. I love not having to deal with those old paper stickon labels or seeing a disc labeled with a magic marker. The pigment ink makes a great looking label that lasts and the included software makes the job easy. And oh yes, the R1800 also makes great photo prints too
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:08 PM   #7

With your knowledge of printers would you purchase the 1800 or wait for the new canons. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

JWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Administrator

I did buy the R1800 for myself after reviewing it
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 6:42 PM   #9

I may wait to hear your review of the new canon's; thanks for the info.
JWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 5:00 PM   #10

Steve,

Have you had any problems with clogs and the R1800?

How are the B&Ws? I assume you are using profiles.

I e-mailed Canon to ask when the new printer would be released and all they said was "keep watching our web-site."

I've been watching CNET and the number of stores with the Canon i9900 in stock has dropped from 35 to 25 in just 2 weeks. I think the current inventory is running out and Canon should be getting ready to introduce the new printer (or else resupply with the old one, which would really bum me out).

I want to make a decision soon.

Thanks.