Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1

I buy my paper from freephotopaper.com and in between every ten sheets of photo paper there is a sheet of cardboard. I was printing up some 19x13 photos and by mistake the cardboard got left in. The resultant print is like a wonderful watercolour with runs and washed out colours and every one I've shown it to thinks it is marvellous. Completely unintentional, but it is being framed just the same! Try it for fun - it might or might not work. The Canon 19950 was set for photo paper pro if it helps and the paper was the 10 mil 13x19 glossy.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:22 AM   #2

Hi! I posted on the Photo inkjet forum but just saw your post (I was looking for a printer that can handle heavy paper). I realize you wouldn't normally print on cardboard but do you find the I9950 to be able to handle heavy paper? I'm happy with my HP in terms of color output but the turn radius kills me. Is your Canon the same way or does it have a straight path? Thanks so much and glad your 'mistake' turned out great!
justanothergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I buy my paper from freephotopaper.com and in between every ten sheets of photo paper there is a sheet of cardboard. I was printing up some 19x13 photos and by mistake the cardboard got left in. The resultant print is like a wonderful watercolour with runs and washed out colours and every one I've shown it to thinks it is marvellous. Completely unintentional, but it is being framed just the same! Try it for fun - it might or might not work. The Canon 19950 was set for photo paper pro if it helps and the paper was the 10 mil 13x19 glossy.

Could we have a look at your mistake?

Al
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:20 PM   #4

I am off motor racing tomorrow in the UK but will try and photograph it and post when I get back next week. If it works I think you'll be agreeably surprised, but to be sure I'll post the photo and the original so you can compare
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:02 PM   #5
Administrator

justanothergirl wrote:
Quote:
Hi! I posted on the Photo inkjet forum but just saw your post (I was looking for a printer that can handle heavy paper). I realize you wouldn't normally print on cardboard but do you find the I9950 to be able to handle heavy paper? I'm happy with my HP in terms of color output but the turn radius kills me. Is your Canon the same way or does it have a straight path? Thanks so much and glad your 'mistake' turned out great!

I would have to say no, printing on such heavy stock could damage a Canon printer. Canon does not provide any media with that much thickness and so the printer is not designed for it.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6

Thank you Steve! I do use my 4200 with heavy stock but I consider it a disposable printer so if I wore it out (and I have) it was ok with me. I don't want to ruin a $400+ printer which is not as disposable if that makes sense.

justanothergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:24 AM   #7

I'm claiming no prizes for the photo of the print but it'll give you an idea of the effect. This was a Laurel & Hardy act at Goodwood motor racing circuit which, as said, got printed by mistake on the cardboard interleaf.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:02 AM   #8

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I'm claiming no prizes for the photo of the print but it'll give you an idea of the effect. This was a Laurel & Hardy act at Goodwood motor racing circuit which, as said, got printed by mistake on the cardboard interleaf.

Thank you for sharing your picture. I really like it.

Al
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote