Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:11 PM   #11

Hi there

I've had precisely the same problem - I've tried: deep cleaning; manual rinsing of print head; changing ink cartridges [not Canon, however]; Photoshop determining colours, printer determining colours; different papers [Ilford, Olmec, Jessops] and ICC profiles - you name it, I'm pretty sure I might have tried it, and I've been fairly sensible in not changing too many factors at any one time! The fact that the magenta cast appears to disappear when paper is set to Plain is puzzling ... Canon no help ...

Despair - should I ditch the Canon [had it for about 2!/2 years and buy an Epson??!!

Am prepared to try [almost]anything! Help!

Steve
stevewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:39 PM   #12

Does anybody know if replacing the priint head would help? The blues come out very anemic. Thanks.

Carl
Carl K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:58 PM   #13

I'm having the same magenta printing problem and likewise have tried everything I can think of short of replacing the print head(using all canon inks, cleanings, alignments, various papers and reinstalling drivers). I also get the occasional acceptable print. I replaced the print head on an i990 to fix a blue cast problem last year, replacing my head will be my next step.
jenningj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:40 AM   #14

Are you sure this is not an ICC profile problem? Have you tried printing with EZ photo print or selecting preview from the printer driver options?

See this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=56

jazzlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:05 PM   #15

Changing the printhead solved the problem. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Carl
Carl K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:16 PM   #16

Some things I've noticed on my i9900... First, I had very subtle magenta banding (about 1cm high) on prints. This was hard to see and gave the impression of an overall magenta cast. I discovered that 1/2 of a set of nozzles were not spraying ink. A print head replacement solved that problem. (I realize you have already replaced yours; this is more of an FYI for others).

Second, check your ink cartridges to verify that the plastic strip--the one you remove on a new cartridge--has been fully removed. I believe that the openings this strip exposes are used to manage pressure in the cartridge. If the strip is not properly removed it might cause the cartridge to not work properly.

...kevin
steves-digicams (at) trogon (dot) com
Kevin Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:17 PM   #17

Oops! Just saw your latest post. For some reason, I thought you had already tried replacing the print head. Maybe it was another poster with a similar problem.

Regardless--glad that your problem is resolved!

...kevin
Kevin Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:47 PM   #18

I've had the same problem except with a green cast, and even changing the print head didn't help! Finally, I saw on this forum that using the "plain paper" setting made a difference, which it dit. But I kept getting horizontal marks as a result of the printing quality being lesser than the high-resolution I needed. Finally, after some tweaking, I find that using the "other photo paper" setting works best, as well as good resolution (at least 400 ppp), and increasing the ink intensity in the Manual color settings. I guess this has to do with trying to print on non-Canon paper.
voillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:01 AM   #19

I finally solved my i9900 problem- bought an Epson R1800. I hated to admit defeat like this, but I was tired of all the hassle. Certainly an expensive fix, but so far I've been thrilled with the 1800. Course I was pretty happy with the 9900 at first...

Now what do I do witha 9900 that's "not quite right"?
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:11 PM   #20

I
have had the Canon I 9100 and developed this problem after about two years. I replaced the 9100 with the 9900 and now two years later the problem is back with the new printer. Enough is enough, this problem seems to be endemic with the canon after a period of time. I also have an epson 200 that I use almost exclusively for DVD printing
kenb538 is offline   Reply With Quote