Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1

I've had my i9900 for awhile now, and I've been pleased with it until recently. It began printing muddy-looking, magenta-toned grays. Anything in a photo that is supposed to be gray comes out magenta/brown. I have changed nothing to cause this (as far as I know!). I have not changed the monitor, the software I print with, the color profiles, the ink or the paper. I've tried fresh paper, reinstalling the printer driver, printing from a different program- nothing works. Except one thing: it still prints colors accurately on plain paper, regardless of the profile selected. Changing profiles (using photo plus glossy on photo pro paper, for instance)on the glossy and matte papers doesn't help at all, only the plain paper looks right. I've cleaned the nozzles (test patter prints perfectly), always used Canon cartridges...it's driving me crazy!

I doubt this is a monitor calibration issue, as I haven't changed the monitor settings, and besides the colors on the monitor look exactly as I remember them from the actual photo sites. I don't mess with custom profiles, so I don't see how that could be it. Again, it worked perfectly for at least a year before this just came out of the blue (magenta?). Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2

The most obvious thing would be to double check to make sure your ink cartridges are inserted correctly (it's happened to more than one of us)! :O
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

Thanks- I did check that. I do wonder if one of my cartridges may have gotten old and perhaps color-shifted-?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Have you run a printhead test? If one of the nozzles is clogged it will definitely throw off the color balance. The printhead is user replaceable and you canget one fromCanon service for about $90.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:46 PM   #5

Yes, I ran printhead checks (it prints the test sheet perfectly), did all the cleaning cycles, all to no avail. I had a problem with the printhead once before, and had it replaced (not under warranty!), and it worked finefor awhile. I'm beginning to think it has a hex on it...
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:09 AM   #6

I don't think you are the only one. My i9950 throws a fit from time to time and it is as if the print rollers are moving the paper just a fraction too far since I get a pinstripe effect which wastes paper and ink. I've cleaned the rollers and done nozzle checks but all to no avail. I am getting ready to junk it but - what do I buy to replace it? There isn't a great deal of choice in A3+ format. I'd like to hear from people with long term experience of Epson please. It is too early to report on the new Pixma range which isn't even out yet.

Quite frankly this printer cost me dear when it came out and I am mightily unimpressed with the quality problems I've had just about from the day the guarantee ran out. It is costing me so much in lost ink and paper that there is no point in continuing to persevere. Comments please!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:40 AM   #7

gilfos

During your printhead checks, did you do the nozzle check and head alignment? Which of the cleanings did you do and how many? Are all of the ink cartridges inserted all the way, where it might be sucking in some air? Have you tried replacing both of the magenta cartridges, as they might be old ink.

I had a Canon I9100 before my Epson 2400, and a few months before I bought the Epson I had a similar problem with my Canon. I had to do a deep clean cycle every timeI turned it onto get proper colors from it. I was having a blockage that was small, and would clear up after one deep clean cycle. I felt that the print head was going. The nozzle check looked ok, but much better after a cleaning.

I have also read that if you do to many deep cleaning cycles with Canon printers, that can destroy the print head.

Also, how old is the paper that you are using? Has this paper been stored as they specify on the packaging? What manufacturer are you using?
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:48 AM   #8

Deep breath. I've done nozzle cleaning and deep cleaning, I've bought new Canon ink cartridges, I've bought new Moab paper, stored as advised in it's box out of direct sunlight,I've done print head alignment, I've tried everything. The stupidity is that sometimes the printer works fine and then goes AWOL, and there is no knowing when, I've tried other inks, canon paper and the whole problem is the unreliability of the printer. Some days it's fine, others useless. The only word I can find is capricious.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:42 PM   #9

Have you solved the magenta cast problem? My i9900 is 2 years old, performed beautifully and now has very poor blues, more like light purple. I have tried deep cleaning, new cartridges, printing from different programs, different papers, use only Canon inks and even printing from different computers. Images I have printed successfully before have the same problem. Canon support tried but couldn't help. Would a new print head help? Thanks
Carl K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:31 AM   #10

I have decided to wait for the new Pixma 9500 in the spring. I can't resolve any of the problems but the puzzling thing is that all are spasmodic. One day a print is perfect, next day the rollers move too quickly and I have a pinstripe effect, another the magenta cast is there. I've bought all new ink cartridges too with no change. Basically I've given up on this printer but then it has worked hard, printing over 400 7x5 shots one day. Ah well.