Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 13, 2002, 4:53 PM   #1

Default Lost in Colorado......

South end of northbound gull - looking for the magic of fresh water in parched Colorado - spotted Boulder, Res. & peeling off to dive.....

I just liked the way the sun was reflecting off the wings - the cute little folded feet and angle....

Canon EOS-1D - 70-200L at ISO 200 - 1/2000 F/6.0

Lin

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:49 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2002, 11:14 AM   #2

As usual, Lin, beautiful. It almost looks like an abstract. Gorgeous.:P

Willa
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 4:00 PM   #3

Hi Willa,
Thank's! I just liked the sun's position on this one - he was really enjoying the crowd below at the lake and swooped bye before I had time to catch him on the way in. I did get a few good shots later when a couple more came by, but this one had "something" I liked...

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jul 14, 2002, 11:07 PM   #4

Lin, nice smooth photo. Lovely light.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:01 PM   #5

Hi Christie,
Thank's - I think the gulls out here are just glad some of the smoke has cleared out from the atmosphere and let some sun shine through! Here's the other view of this guy...

Lin

[Edited on 7-15-2002 by Lin Evans]

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:58 AM   #6

Beautiful Lin, but what are you doing with seagulls in Colorado? I wouldn’t think there would be to many clams or crabs to eat.
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:13 AM   #7

Lin, still a nice smooth photo. Maybe it's just a nice smooth bird!
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:42 AM   #8

Hi Tom, Christie!
It's a bit strange - I remember many years ago when I moved from California to Colorado (1970) I was quite surprised to find seagulls here. Acutally, they are quite common here and frequent the dumps and hang out at the lakes begging for handouts from anyone willing to accommodate them.

It's really interesting to watch huge flocks of them following the great tractors during soil cultivation in the Spring. There will be hundreds of them - apparently picking out grubs and worms from the freshly turned soil behind the big aritculated tractors pulling 24 or 36 share plows along the front range in Northern Colorado. The farms are very large with sometimes several square miles in a single field and the gulls swoop down behind and lift off in mass and follow the farmers up and down the rows as they plow. Next year I'll try to get some shots of this interesting behavior and post them.

Best reagards,

Lin
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:31 PM   #9

Two great shots and an even better story about the gulls and farms, Lin. Ahhh... Colorado in the Spring. That must be gorgeous (even though it does come a mite late in the year).

Fire has been a problem this year, hasn't it?
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 6:03 PM   #10

Hi Ron,
Thank's - yes it's been one of those years where half the state is either burning or on water restrictions.

Historically, this time of year it's generally nice and green and we have lots of runoff from the late snows, but this year and for the past several, it just didn't happen. There seems to be a trend - like we may be in the middle of an interstitial where weather patterns are changing worldwide. I know for the last few years the Sierras have had record level snows and our winters have been quite mild here.

It would be nice to see this end - but predictions are that we may be in for several more years of this - so who knows.

Best regards,

Lin