Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:38 PM   #1

Hey Guys,

I love all the wonderful shots I see on this forum. I am wondering if I have the right camera system for shooting wildlife i.e. birds, etc...I have the olympus e-500 and the kit lens, 40-150mm and don't see much out there for me in the way of affordable long lens, doesn't have to be zoom. The 50-200 is not much longer and not cheap.You that are more experienced, and I right in thinking another system would have more available, less expensive lens for birding? Used primes...sigma, tokina, tamron...I like my camera, just don't know about the lens. I am willing to move on if needed or stay put and adapt. I could afford a new camera body/lens, but would probably have to sell my olympus. But I do have a budget. I have considered the canon 30D...Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2

Most people recommend using 400mm lenses and up for wildlife photography, espcially for birds.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:16 AM   #3

D.Anne I had a little look around for you on the Net and it looks like Tokina might be able to help you here with a 400mm. My advice would be to get to a good camera store and find out exact prices and numbers because they look a little light on. If you don't mind the wait it might be the way to go.

Here is an Olympus lens.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/400mm.htm

Try this link for a look and see if you can pick one up on Ebay...not a bad place to start. You don't need the worlds best equipment to take good shots, just learn your gear. You wouldn't go wrong with a Canon either and lenses would be easier to get and a wider range will be available to you. It is up to you ...good luck and may the capture be with you.
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:58 AM   #4
KEM

Hi Donna,
As you know a good 400mm lens is expensive... much more than the cost of a good camera body. If you're really serious about shooting wildlife then you need to move on to a Canon or Nikon. A good lens will be used again on the next cool DSLR camera body Canon and Nikon will inevitably put out. I'm not a fan boy of either product just a realist. Go with that 30D, you'll be much happier in the end.
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote