Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:18 AM   #11

I agree with KEM, it (cool color) was the first thing I noticed while looking over the picture. You can make it warmer in PS, but ideally it's better to have the camera's white balance set to the conditions. I like your pics and look forward to seeing more.... I also want to add that it's nice that you asked for CC.... it's a good way to improve on your/our hobby.

On a a side note.. I started out with a Tamron 200-500 lens and returned it within my 30 day window as it was really bad with CA (Chromatic aberation) also known as purple fringing.... I went to prime and thats the end of that story. Maybe your Tamron will be better than the one I had..... hopefully.

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:58 AM   #12

Thanks Buzzsaw, I will try a few things and see what happens. Hey, I always welcome comments and critiques. There is a lot of good experience out there and I love taking advantage of it. Thanks again to all the took the time to look and comment.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:19 PM   #13

It's people like you who make it easier to comment! Keep up the good work. :-)
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:23 PM   #14

I actually love the brigt colors, especially on the ducks. The toned down colors on the fall scene suit that as well. I could print these out and wallpaper my room with them and be a happy camper!

Amazing photography. (I must get a tripod!)
MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:45 PM   #15

Thank you MsPuck,
While I didn't use a Tripod on these shots (well I did rest the lens on the window) a tripod is definately reccomended for a lens of this reach. I did practice my control breathing however. LOL
You know, I might have to check this pictures out on another monitor because they don't look that overly vivid to me. They look pretty much like what I remember the birds and the scene looked like. Please, anyone who wants to re-process any of the pics to what they think looks better (warmer, less vivid, whatever) go ahead. I would very much like to see what your vision of the pictures is. No hard feelings from my part, honest. I would like to see what you are all thinking.
Cheers,
Vivid Steve
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:49 PM   #16

Hi Steve,when I first looked at these pics and before I read any of the comments, I thought "my goodness what amazing colors". And after looking at them on my laptop and also on my monitor for my PC, I still think they are amazing. I surely don't want to offend anyone but you asked for opinions and that is mine. They are great as is.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:21 PM   #17
KEM

smac wrote:
Quote:
Finally a Mallard Pair
Hey SMAC, Here's my attempt at removing what I'm seeing as a Vivid issue. I did just get a new monitor so maybe I'm not used to the brightness
:?
Anyway, let me know how it looks to the rest of the group....

In elements 4 :
- tweeked levels
- tweaked shadows / highlights
- tweaked brightness / contrast
- finished with a little Unsharp

-Kent

Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:37 PM   #18
KEM

And the Drake... about the same tweaks....
Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:02 PM   #19

Hey Kent,
Thanks for the reposts. I can see the differences between the pictures. After going back and forth about a million time looking at the subtle differences I think I will dial back on the color setting and see how the pics turn out. I have to admit that there have been a couple of shots that, when I saw them out of the camera, didn't look right. I appreciate you taking the time to re-touch the photos so I could see what you were getting at.
All the best,
Steve
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:14 AM   #20

Another good guide when viewing ducks to see if they are over Saturated or too vivid is take a look at the orange in the feet.... if you over do it, they really stand out.