Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:25 PM   #11

Donna, Tat2dGuy and Kent, thank you so much for the nice warm comments.

Regards, Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:52 PM   #12

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, Houston!!! There's just something about the mottling on the balds that I never get tired of gazing at! I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival here along the Mississippi, should bewithin afew weeks.They just so graceful & regal! Houston, just out of curiousity, could you tell me a little about the set-up of the shots? Was it flying low over a lake or river?Yourposition for them was excellent!Seems like they(immatures) like to fly higher when I get to see them....maybe I just haven't been living life right??

Thanks for the series & Here's to being glad that Ben Franklin was outvoted!

Ron
Hi Ron, Ill gladly tell you anything I can. I'm visiting my daughter in the suburbs of Orlando and I usually go out to Lake Jesup during the day while she is working. I go down thru the woods at a local park and walk the shore line until I find a place that opens up a little to give me a view both ways left and right. Try to wear clothing that matches the surroundings. I've made lots of good captures at a particular spot that I found. I've seen the Juvenile balds flying both high and low. The trees at this spot were very tall Cyprus. I saw this one coming in toward me from the middle of the lake. He was fairly high and turned a little before he got to me and then landed in one of the Cyprus trees not 50 ft from me and because of the tree between us I could not see him. All of the shots I got were when he was coming in and turning except the one when he left going the other way. I dont know what camera-lens outfit you have but the most important piece of info I could give you is what someone on this forum gave me, and that is practice, practice, practice. I was using my Canon 20D, 100-400L IS lens and Tamron 1.4x TC. Hope this helps

Houston

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:03 PM   #13

MsPuck wrote:
Quote:
These are fabulous! I was at the Conowingo Dam last week and saw many juveniles- saw one catch a fish and eat it in the tree just over my head. I don't have a proper telephoto lens, so my photo is for my memory only, but I too was amazed at the mottling and how it is just so beautiful in the sun. These are real keepers! THanks for sharing them.
MsPuck, thank you so much for the kind words and the pleasure of sharing them was all mine. BTW I have some shots of a mature Bald Eagle taken from the very same spot as these only about 6 months ago. I caught it diving straight down, hit the water and come out with a fish. I got several pretty good shots of that but I haven't posted them because he was way out there in the lake and by the time I got them cropped the way I wanted them the quality was below my posting standards. Thanks again for looking in a commenting.

Houston