Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:22 PM   #1

Went down to the Conowing Dam in Maryland over the weekend to get some Eagle pictures. Highly reccomend this as the place to go for eagles short of going to Alaska. Used a Canon 1DMK2 with Sigma 300-800 lens and sometime on the static shots i also added a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter Tripod with gimble head used of course.

First was also used with flash and Better Beamer which gave eagle a redeye of sort. BUT i like it that way, more sinister looking.

These two were having some kind of dispute over something.

swooping in for the catch

Breakfest time, to bad tree branches partly blocked my view

More picture at

http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm/eagles&page=all

dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:47 PM   #2

Wow!:shock:

Those are some excellent shots. How far from the eagles were you when you used the flash and better beamer?
Now that the weather has turned colder I am hoping to catch some eagles out at our local refuge.
Again, nice shots.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:24 PM   #3

The first shot with the better beamer was the closest i got all weekend. It was later in the dayat 5:10 pm when an eagle flew into a tree right along the shoreline. I was about 60 feet away.There was a whole group of guys there and since i hadthe longest lens at 800mm i stayed farthest away while most of the mob got right up close the the bottom of the tree. They were probably within about 25 feet were i stayed back as not to get into the cluster of people trying to get a decent angle on the eagle. It was quite a sight . The advantage of having alot of focul length.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:59 PM   #4

Awesome!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:13 PM   #5

800 mm lens! Wow! Your shots of the eagles are great...more than that...! I saw 8 eagles in my field the other day, but I was 500 feet away, and I don't have but a 80mm lens so it wasn't going to work. They flew off as I got closer.
Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:04 PM   #6
VP

Some nice shots.It would be great to have that many in one area around here. Saw a couple a few days ago but too far out.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:07 PM   #7

Here in Maryland we see Eagles quite a bit, but your shots are unbelieveable ! Donna

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:32 PM   #8

I was at the dam several weeks ago but I don't have a good lens and couldn't get any really good shots. A juvenile flew right over our heads and landed in a nearby tree and ate his catch - I got a shot but it's blurry. Also lots of wonderful blue herons on the opposite shore. It's a great place - these pix are amazing. I love the one fourth one showing the spread wings in all the tangle of branches. They are all wonderful - thanks for posting them!
MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9

Thanks everyone, i had a great time there shooting away. I have to go through more as i took over 400 shots over the two days i was there. :-)