Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:48 PM   #1

I've been trying, hard, to improve my "in-flight" shots. This is one of the better ones of black birds.

I would appreciate tough crits on how to make it even better.

Pick a different angel so the sun is on the eyes?

Get a sharper lens? ( this is Nikon 70 300, probably at 300)

Any help is appreciated.

Kita
Attached Images

Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:52 AM   #2

Hi Kita - I'm not an expert, there are others on the forum who would be able to advise you a whole lot more, however, here are my couple of cents worth :

Let the bird have space in front to "fly into", and, yes, it is alwaysbetter to try and get light on the eyes. The diagonal aspect of this crow shot is good,one gets an overall view of the wings. I don't know your lens, however, using Unsharp Mask in photoshop or other software does a great job insharpening things up. You also did a great job to get most of the wingspan in focus, a difficult thing with flight shots, because, generally you want to keep the shutter speed up, so the aperture then would increase, which decreases your depth of field. I know a lot of wildlife photographers keep their camera on Aperture priority,nearthe wide end of their lensecapability, to get the Shutter Speed as highas possibe. Also go as high on your ISO as you can [without noise]

Otherthan that, the next thing is to practise, practise, paractise- I have done a quick edit on your shot, a bit of shadow recovery and USM, and cropped.

PS - It also might be better to use spot metering, [or as close to spot as your camera will allow] particularly on a darker bird, then the camera will meter for the bird and not the surroundings
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the input, Jake.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:56 PM   #4

Hi Kita, This shot is really nice as it is but for you to take better ones listen to Jake and you WILL take better ones.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote