Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1

Default great blue heron part 4

Here is the last shot of the heron from the other posts. I had been very careful to not bother him, but I discovered that I could get to his side and get a more traditional pose. I'm a little annoyed that I blew the highlights and the neck is a little dark (but the one with the fill flash was worse on the hilights and the neck seemed artificially bright... looked "wrong" to me.) I like it enough to post, though.

Ok, I'll stop being critical... tell me what you all thing! And I say it again, I'm new to PS, so give me any suggestions you can. I could use them. If you want to work the photo, I can upload the origional, but realize it's ~2.5mb file.

10D, 100-400L @ 275mm, F5.6, 1/250 400ISO, handheld, lots of PS work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2003, 1:29 AM   #2

Hi Eric

Great shot - not really anything wrong, but I took my big glasses on at found this:

The burned out highlight on it's head and body can be cloned away.
The tree in the bottom and left could be blurred to get a nicer DOF.
Add some USM and partial sharpness too.
I little nice grey frame.

What do you think ?

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 8:41 AM   #3

I like it. I had struggled with trying to bring out the detail and lighten the neck with the wand tool and brighting, but I was never happy with the results. The neck you got is much more like what I wanted. Cloning away the head hilight makes sense, didn't think of it.

There seems to be a sharpening artifact on the inside curve of its neck, but I still like it better than what I did. I can only get better in photoshop through doing and learning. Thanks for the help.

Eric
Old Jun 26, 2003, 9:59 AM   #4

Lovely rework, good photo to start with.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks Eric and Frank. I used PS to compress for webuse. That's why the quality isn't that good! After I worked on it, it got bigger than the original about 400kb - now it's about 100kb. That says it all.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:04 PM   #6

I bet most photographers have a similar problem to the one I've got.

I want the picture to be what I saw (I'm taking the picutre more for myself than others.) So doing "extreme" things like fixing a blown hilight seems some how "wrong". Of course, the reality is that a camera doesn't see like the human eye does anyways, so why worry about it? I mean, I didn't see the blown hilight, so why not take it out? I guess it's partially adding detail that isn't there (or isn't the real detail, since there was detail there after all!)

I'll get over it eventually.

The next learning question is about flash usage. Is there any chance that I could have used a flash to fill in the front side, but not blow the hilight? Did I need a lower power flash setting? A higher aperture? flash sync prevented a higher shutter speed. Could it have been done at all? I think I'll go ask this question in the general forum....

Klaus, thanks again for doing another round of edits and telling me what you did. I don't enjoy the editing nearly as much as the shooting, mostly 'cause it isn't as much fun. I expect that will go away when I get better at it.

Eric
Old Jun 26, 2003, 6:10 PM   #7

Hi Eric:

I have seen some of your other Heron pics. They look great to me. We have the Great Blue Herons nesting about 7 miles from here. They feed all around here (Central Ohio). Ours are extremely skidish and about the closest I have exer been to one is 100 feet.

Using my Sony digital video cam doesn't work well because on long zooms, the exposure system causes flickering.

I always wondered what one looked like up close. My wife couldn't believe how close you are getting to them.

Great pic ..Thanks,

David Curtis
davidc256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:54 PM   #8

davidc256

Thanks for the kind words. I was about 6-8 feet away from this one, it was great. This is the closest I've ever gotten to one of these amazing birds. They were a fixture in my youth when the family went on vacation in another state... I never knew that I could find them only two towns away from home. I never tire of seeing them.

My lens cost $1,499 and I would have trouble getting a decent shot at 100 feet. Kevin G has a lens which costs $9,000 new, and it wouldn't do a lot better. That is just really far away.

Eric