Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:04 AM   #1

Howdy Everyone! Allow me to introduce myself my nme is, Jerry and I'm a new meember here on Steve's Digicam's. I will be taking an Alaskan cruise sometime in 2007 possibly May or June, and I would like to know what lenses you'd reccomend for my trip? I utilize Canon equipment. A Canon 10 D, 1V, 17-40mm F4 24-70 mm F 2.8, and a 70-200 mm F 2.8 and a Canon 550EX flash. I'm interested in the following lenses:

Canon 300 mm F 4 IS

Canon 400 mm F 5.6

Canon 100-400 mm F 4.5 - 5.6

This trip for me will be a once in a lifetime trip, so it is my aim to make sure I have what I need as I plan to photograph numerous types of wildlife (Eagles, Grizzlies etc.) Any reccomendations, suggestions would be helpful as to what lenses would be best. Thank you for your time.

Best,

Jerry
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2

If those are the only lenses you are considering, I would go with the 100-400 because of the image stabilzation and reach, unless you plan to use a tripod for most of the shots.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

Those are not the only lenses I'm considering just suggestions as to what might work. Is there another lens you would reccomend using?
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4
VP

Canon 500L F4 IS should work just fine, since you have alandscape lensand the 70-200 F2.8. But you probably already know that isin the cost range or more of your trip.:-) Other than that, I agree with Bob on the 100-400L for same reasons.

I have the 400L 5.6 and it is sharp and really fast focus.....great for birds in flight and in good light or on tripod. It would not beMY long lens of choice fora once in a life-time tripif only taking one long lens.

BTW, welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing some of your trip shots.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:07 AM   #5

I'm sure you will want to return to Alaska. I was there for two weeks in July/August 2001 and loved it! I strongly recommend an IS (image stabilized) lens, since you won't always be able to use a tripod, especially if you go on any of the boat excursions for whale watching, etc. or take any of the numerous flightseeing excursions that are available. I had a 2 megapixel Olympus C-700 (which I'd bought just over a month before the trip) when I went. I hope to return this year or next with a Nikon D80 or similar.

I have a brief description of that trip, and a few photos (maybe some day I'll actually finish the page), at <http://www.dma.org/~lundyd/Alaska-trip.html>.

DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote