Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 1, 2003, 6:45 AM   #11

Kevin G,

Just catching up with your latest. Please keep them coming !
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:19 PM   #12

isshinryu_mom

I'm not as good a Kevin (by far), but I've been doing a lot of nature photography in the last month. I can say that my percent of keepers are not that much worse that Kevin's. I usually go out for 1-2 hours on the weekend or after dinner (gotta love the 8:30 sunsets right now!) and I'll take anywhere from 50-120 pictures. Out of that there will be 15-20 or so that are technically good enough (I'm a perfectionist in that department, so this means very sharp, good exposure and lighting.) But many of those pictures will be very similar because I took multiple pictures to make sure one came out (maybe because I was using a very low shutter speed or it was getting dark, so I bracketed the exposure.) There are also things like the expression of the bird, posture, and a good background to consider. Throwing out the less interesting, technically good pics I get about 10 which are interesting enough to actually show friends and family. Of those, maybe 2-3 are good enough that I feel ok posting here.

As I get better, I expect my picky-ness to only increase. Good nature photography is really hard, in ways that I didn’t expect.

Kevin

I don’t know about that dog picture. The subject looks a bit “fuzzy” to me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:45 PM   #13

Thank you for you replies, Kevin and Eric. I was beginning to feel maybe I was just hopeless! But perhaps I'm just starting to have higher standards for my pictures now that I'm hanging out here looking at all of ya'll wonderful photographs!!! I've taken about 1300 pictures in the three weeks I've had my camera.... which is maybe more than I've taken in my entire life! :lol:
isshinryu_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:30 PM   #14

isshinryu_mom

I am the same way. I didn't take many when I had my old SLR film camera. But I took the plunge and I've taken more with my (way too expensive) digital camera than ever before and I've really enjoying it. I just have to scale back my expectations a bit.

I used to go to www.naturephotographers.net a lot. But I've had to stop for awhile because the photographers there are just too good. Often people there spend the time to go places I can't and capture in pictures things which I'd only dream of seeing with my own eyes. But I've learnd a lot by looking at really good nature photos there, so I'll go back ones I get a handle on what I can and can't do right now.

Keep it up and post some pictures for us!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote