Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:41 PM   #1

Default heron preening

I saw this at my favorite National Wildlife Refuge a week ago. He was about 50 feet away, so it required a bit more croping than I'd like. I like the touch of sunset colors on him, along with his less-traditional pose.

Canon 10D 10-400 @400, 1/500 f5.6, ISO 400
PS: large Crop, sharpen, levels & border
Also used neat image to reduce noise.

As always, tell me what you think or how I could improve it. I'm not good with photoshop, so tips in that area are always accepted!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:42 AM   #2

It's a nice shot Eric. The crop is IMO too large. Because of it - a lot of details are missing. Especially at the herons head, which is merged too much with the neck. It's a bit difficult to get a feeling of ehat this heron actually looks like.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:06 AM   #3

I wonder if it would have really benefited from a side shot. Then the separation would have been clearer, because you could see between the beak and neck. Not that one was possible there, but this is how I learn for next time.

I'm not sure how changing the crop would have helped. I didn't actually enlarge the picture (i.e. create more data)... Ah, I probably reduced it to make it a more reasonable download (trading reducing vs. more jpg compression) that would cause it to loose detail too. But I didn't reduce it that much... maybe 10-15%? Maybe this is one of those situations where film and a hi-res scanner (or maybe a 1Ds?) would have kept the detail the shot needed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:07 AM   #4

I really like the lighting in your shot.
I find profile shots of birds are more interesting to look at as you can usually catch the expression in their eyes better (not that I've been able to get any :lol: )
I like your crop- I think it frames the Heron nicely and emphasizes his height - too bad he wasn't looking to the side.
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote