Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:18 AM   #1

I tried shooting RAW, with the 2x teleconverter and I have to manual focus. I guess my f/4 isn't bright enough. Anyway, trying to catch birds with a manual focus is hardwork! I was pretty far away, the advantage being thebirds were not as nervous and satstill for me. But Icould barely see to focus and relied on the "beep" totell me. Maybe I will get faster with practice. Thanks, Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:35 AM   #2

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
I tried shooting RAW, with the 2x teleconverter and I have to manual focus. I guess my f/4 isn't bright enough. Anyway, trying to catch birds with a manual focus is hardwork! I was pretty far away, the advantage being thebirds were not as nervous and satstill for me. But Icould barely see to focus and relied on the "beep" totell me. Maybe I will get faster with practice. Thanks, Donna
I am sure you will get a lot faster with practice. For your first try Mighty Nice.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:56 AM   #3
KEM

Great capture Donna! You have good detail in the feathers so focus was on. Exposure and contrast look good too. I'd say you did verywell here. Was it overcast and do you have an external flash?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-Kent

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4

Yes overcast and my feeders and birds are in the woods so without strong morning light it can be dark. My husband gave me one for Chriistmas...but would I use it when the bird is so far away...would it be effective at a distance...I haven't tried it out outside of the house as it is a bit heavy and the camera, lens converter and flash would start to be a "tote" for me....thanks all. donna
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:01 AM   #5

This is a nice shot. I find it hard to get good shots of Blackcapped Chickadees. The black around the head and eyes seems to overwhelm the shot with my Z740. Good job!
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:25 AM   #6
KEM

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Yes overcast and my feeders and birds are in the woods so without strong morning light it can be dark. My husband gave me one for Chriistmas...but would I use it when the bird is so far away...would it be effective at a distance...I haven't tried it out outside of the house as it is a bit heavy and the camera, lens converter and flash would start to be a "tote" for me....thanks all. donna

Donna, I use a Better Beamer to extend my flash out. It fits on the flash and is very light. Get yourself a good monopod with a ball head to help support the weight... also double as a walking stick to steady yourself when walking over tough terrain.

-Kent

http://images.google.com/images?q=be...s&ct=title

http://www.naturephotographers.net/gs/betterbeamer.html

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:12 PM   #7
VP

Looking better with each one Donna.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips...I can use them. And thanks for the encouragement! Donna
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:20 AM   #9

looks pretty good to me, Donna... chickadees flit around a lot, and can be very difficult to catch. looks to me like you got the focus just fine on this one. i suspect the reason your AF didn't work has as much to do with light and contrast as anything else. with a converter on, you lose not only 2 stops of light, but contrast is less as well, and AF systems depend on contrast to work. if there's not enough, they seem to hunt perpetually, or lock onto the wrong things. in this setting, i can see why yours wasn't working...

if you aren't already, you might also try selecting only the center focus point on your 30D. that way the camera will only use that to focus, so you won't have several focus inputs "fighting" each other in the camera's little brain. the center point is also the fastest and most accurate in the Canon AF scheme. i almost never use the full 9-point AF; 95% of my shots are taken using only the center, and it seems to help.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote