Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:55 PM   #11

eric s wrote:
Quote:
First off, I wanted to say that those are lovely pictures. I was shoting a red tail this morning, but the perch was not as clean as this one. So unfortunately I couldn't get a side view. But I did get unabstructed front view

I would be quite surprised if the hawk didn't hear the shutter of your camera. My experience with raptors is that hey just don't react to it even on a perfectly still day. They have very good hearing.

I know this is absolutely not the intent of the Roger, but I feel obliged to mention this so others who read this thread know it. I also feel bad, injecting something this serious into what is otherwise a happy, fun forum appreciating wildlife photography.

There are laws that make it illegal, in certain situations, to do *almost* what Roger did. With a protected bird, of which there are many (but not Red Tail Hawks any where in the US as far as I know) you can't (among other things):
....annoy wildlife so as to "significantly affect behavioral patterns."

(taken from this link http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241467.html )
And causing a protected bird (note, that is not only "Endangered" but also "Threatened" birds) to take flight has been considered a significant change in their patterns. So you would be breaking federal law if you came upon a piping plover any where in the US and cause it to take flight. If you used a call to make it turn into better light, or just walked down the beach and scared it - intent has nothing to do with it.

Also, national wildlife refuges (and certain other federal properties?) rules state that it is illegal to make bird calls to influence the behavour of a bird. As, I believe, does the National Audubon Society on their properties.

Now, it should be said that I do some times use calls just like Roger did (I'm quite sure he does it better than me!) so I'm not taking a high horse here. Just trying to inform people that they should know what they are doing before they try to use animal calls.

Eric
Hi Eric, thanks for looking and commenting. I agree with your statement "Just trying to inform people that they should know what they are doing before they try to use animal calls" Also one should know and understand the laws that concern wildlife where ever they are.

My goal and it worked with this hawk is to get my photos and leave with him or her still where I found them.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:40 PM   #12

Great shots.
What lens did you use and what distance were you from the hawk ? thanks alot
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:44 PM   #13

photo118 wrote:
Quote:
Great shots.
What lens did you use and what distance were you from the hawk ? thanks alot
photo118, I don't pay attention to distance but a guess would be 30 ot 40 yards. I was using my Pentax K10D with a Sigma 50 - 500MM

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:09 PM   #14

A friend of mine and I were at one time predator hunters and have had consideralbe practice and success calling Coyotes, Bobcat, Fox, in to fairly close range.

We are going to try and set up an electronic caller in suitable terrain and rig up a motion sensor camera. I would be interesting to see what may show up.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:09 PM   #15

A friend of mine has a lot of open terrain behind there house. I had been doing a few mouth squeeks and about 5 min later this rascal strolls past.
Picture was taken in a hurry and not enough zoom but we got a shot.

Attached Images

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:42 PM   #16

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine and I were at one time predator hunters and have had consideralbe practice and success calling Coyotes, Bobcat, Fox, in to fairly close range.

We are going to try and set up an electronic caller in suitable terrain and rig up a motion sensor camera. I would be interesting to see what may show up.

Cooool photo, wildlife calls work all it takes is some practice. I use a lot of different calls its all according to what is going on. Probably the easiest is a crow call. Elk calls, deer grunts, turkey calls & distress calls takes a lot of practice but if you practice they will get results. Sounds like you guys have the learning how down so now its a matter of setting up the equipment and seeing the results.

I am also thinking about trying a electric call.

Here is a coyote I called in using a distress call

Some elk I stopped with a elk cow call

Motion camera and a electric call sounds really interesting. Please keep us posted on your results.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 22, 2007, 12:50 AM   #17

wackyroger! you have a power with these creatures you photograph. show me how to call them so that they may land nice and close to me. so that they turn their head into the light and give me a beautiful pose. teach me oh obi-wan kenobi!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:15 AM   #18

great series, Roger... i'm with you, #3 is the best.

Eric commented about disruptingprotected animalsso as to "significantlychange behavior patterns". while some over-zealous pinheadprosecutor MIGHT be able to make a case that causing a bird to take flight fell into that category,any decent defense attorneyscould make a laughingstock of himif he tried to make it stick. i think anyone with any sense would realize that merelycausing it to take flight or turn into better light does not constitute a "significant change" in its behavior pattern, but is merely a momentary action. if you hear a loud noise and look behind you, that's not a change in your behavior pattern, it's merely a reaction to a sound. same with animals. it doesn't change your daily patterns - where you shop, what time of day you go for a run, or what route you take to work. same with an animal. significantly changing behavior patterns would include activities whichforce it to change its feeding locations or schedules, make it move from a nesting spot, or by repeated disruptions frighten it into fleeing a normal habitat entirely. in any case, it would be exceedingly difficult to prove in a court of law that A) youever used a voice call to get a bird's attention, and B) that doing so constituted a "significant change" in thebird's behavior pattern.

not trying to minimize Eric's point here, he's right that we shouldn't disrupt wildlife if we can avoid it, but neither do we need to worry overmuch about being charged with a crime if we simply make a sound to get an animal's attention.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:35 AM   #19

Great shots Roger. Nice to get an opportunity for such a good close up...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:03 AM   #20

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
wackyroger! you have a power with these creatures you photograph. show me how to call them so that they may land nice and close to me. so that they turn their head into the light and give me a beautiful pose. teach me oh obi-wan kenobi!

- hung
Very diffulcult to answer your post when I am laughting to hard to type. Your make roger smile :-) is appriciated. Thanks for the fun post and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger