Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 22, 2007, 10:10 PM   #21

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
great series, Roger... i'm with you, #3 is the best.

Eric commented about disruptingprotected animalsso as to "significantlychange behavior patterns". while some over-zealous pinheadprosecutor MIGHT be able to make a case that causing a bird to take flight fell into that category,any decent defense attorneyscould make a laughingstock of himif he tried to make it stick. i think anyone with any sense would realize that merelycausing it to take flight or turn into better light does not constitute a "significant change" in its behavior pattern, but is merely a momentary action. if you hear a loud noise and look behind you, that's not a change in your behavior pattern, it's merely a reaction to a sound. same with animals. it doesn't change your daily patterns - where you shop, what time of day you go for a run, or what route you take to work. same with an animal. significantly changing behavior patterns would include activities whichforce it to change its feeding locations or schedules, make it move from a nesting spot, or by repeated disruptions frighten it into fleeing a normal habitat entirely. in any case, it would be exceedingly difficult to prove in a court of law that A) youever used a voice call to get a bird's attention, and B) that doing so constituted a "significant change" in thebird's behavior pattern.

not trying to minimize Eric's point here, he's right that we shouldn't disrupt wildlife if we can avoid it, but neither do we need to worry overmuch about being charged with a crime if we simply make a sound to get an animal's attention.
Rocky you and I are on the same page: " not trying to minimize Eric's point here, he's right that we shouldn't disrupt wildlife if we can avoid it, but neither do we need to worry overmuch about being charged with a crime if we simply make a sound to get an animal's attention." I believe good commen sense is probably the number one thing.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote