Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:17 PM   #11

Hey Bob...thx for the comment as well..!!

And I have not used the RAW much, Iam I understanding that even if you have over exposed a shot it can be corrected when using RAW??? I thought once you over exposed a shot it was uncorrectable???
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:35 PM   #12

In jpg, you won't be able to correct it, but in RAW, you have about a 1 stop leeway...your mileage may vary...cheers........Don

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bob...thx for the comment as well..!!

And I have not used the RAW much, Iam I understanding that even if you have over exposed a shot it can be corrected when using RAW??? I thought once you over exposed a shot it was uncorrectable???
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:02 PM   #13

Willow, I know what you mean about those out of nowhere shots that sneak up on you.
My -0.7 ev correction is not absolute. I still have to adjust depending on the conditions but, isn't that really the case with any shot. I think our only salvation will be if Nikon decides to issue a firmware update that corrects the metering in D80. Till then I'll just keep shooting and honing my skills.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:13 PM   #14

Yup....maybe we should contact Nikon and suggest the upgrade :idea:...

smac I don't know if u have paint shop pro but u see the blue cast in the photo that u gave as a example of the egret, well there is a setting in psp that really works great for correcting the blue cast...its the - fade correction - I use it quite a bit.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:18 AM   #15

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
Yup....maybe we should contact Nikon and suggest the upgrade :idea:...

smac I don't know if u have paint shop pro but u see the blue cast in the photo that u gave as a example of the egret, well there is a setting in psp that really works great for correcting the blue cast...its the - fade correction - I use it quite a bit.
I don't have Paint Shop I use PS Elements for Mac. Are you talking about the bottom picture, the shaded side of the Egret? Guess I never noticed it till you mentioned it. Huh.:O
Feel free correct it in your Paint Shop I would like to see the difference.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:20 AM   #16
KEM

Willow and SMAC, Have you checked out your selection for metering mode? Exposure is set on how exposure is determined here much like focus selection for what to focus on...( i.e. spot, centered, matrix) Not saying this is your issue but something to look at when dealing with a white subject in a dark background.
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:21 PM   #17

Kent thx ...for the reply...the shaded area of smac's photo is not the subject matter that we where mainly talking about it the exposure setback of the D80 in AUTO mode But your correct about the metering selection used for the proper exposure as to how things are in and out of shadows and so forth I myself use SPOT for close up shots as in my bird photos and matrix for say landscapes....cheers :G

smac

It took me a matter of 2 min to do this
I brushed out the blue cast with the ( -saturation ) tool

Attached Images