Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:03 PM   #1

I was with a small group of photographers at a place where people from all over the world come to get beautiful wildlife shots of wild animals that arevery comfortablearound humans. It is called the Minnesota Wildlife Connection and you pay to play... you walk in the place and it's got books from so many people that have had their work published, including National Geographics visits. I took over 4,000 pictures of Arctic Wolfs, Arctic Fox, Red Fox and Canadian Lynx... here is the beginning of my efforts of trudging through over two feet of snow to get to each photo location.

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:47 PM   #2

What a series. I do wish I could of been there with you.

SUPERDUPPERTASTIC is the only word I can think of.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:33 PM   #3
VP

Awesome opportunity, Mike. And excellent job on the exposure!
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:59 PM   #4

Wonderful work!!! I'm jealous...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Great photos, but in the U.S. we don't refer to enclosed animals as "wildlife". They are called zoos or game farms. Really nice shots though.

It would be almost impossible to get wolf shots like that in the wild.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:16 AM   #6

I don't see any enclosure.:O I shoot pictures all the time at the local National"WILDLIFE" Refuge where the animals get accustomed to the cars driving by so they aren't as shy as they normally would be (unless your stupid and try and get out of your vehicle). I don't consider that a zoo or a game farm. Maybe I just misread your tone (which is always difficult to discern when not actually speaking with someone) but it seemed a little demeaning to the photographer as though these shots were somehow less valid because of the surroundings. These seemed to me, to be wolves that were free to come and go as they please, albeit less wary of humans than they might otherwise be, but wild none the less. A park bear may seem tame because it has become accustomed to people but I would never consider it harmless it could still take your head off.
Anyway, I think the opportunity to take pictures in a natural setting of the wildlife should not be dimenished by the fact that the animals are a little more used to humans than normal.

Beautiful pictures Mike. In that first shot, does the wolf have something in it's mouth? It looks like a white rodent of some kind. Anyway, I envy you your opportunity. I am sure you made the most of it.
All the best,
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:29 AM   #7

Theserene colour tone imparted a sanitary feeling to my senses. Watching the shots, I waslike having a holiday on a small island of the Aegean Sea, being surrounded by white-walled (the snow on the ground and the trees)and blue-roofed (the blue sky) buildings.

Thewhite wolf blended well with the environment. In one sense in union with nature and in another a successful camouflagethat facilitates preying.

Exposure was perfect, retaining the details on the wolf despite a sea of whiteness. Framing for 2 and 3 were perfect; 1 too heavy in the centraland, in my view,would have been better if the wolfwere slightlyoff the centre.

On the whole, very aesthetic and refining in taste. Would be grateful if you could post more of the shots yougot.

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:32 AM   #8

Mike, what an opportunity, and well used !! All three are great shots, worth the cost and effort, I'm sure. Steve, that looks like it's left paw that swept in front. The top one is really great, Mike, maybe a little more shadow on the left, and the head a bit to the right [not so central ?]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I don't see any enclosure.:O

It's a famous game farm for photographers. There is an enclosure.

http://www.minnesotawildlifeconnection.com/

Quote:
I shoot pictures all the time at the local National"WILDLIFE" Refuge where the animals get accustomed to the cars driving by so they aren't as shy as they normally would be (unless your stupid and try and get out of your vehicle). I don't consider that a zoo or a game farm.

A National Wildlife Refuge is not a game farm at all. It's federal land with wild animals.

Quote:
Maybe I just misread your tone (which is always difficult to discern when not actually speaking with someone) but it seemed a little demeaning to the photographer as though these shots were somehow less valid because of the surroundings. Anyway, I think the opportunity to take pictures in a natural setting of the wildlife should not be dimenished by the fact that the animals are a little more used to humans than normal.

Far from it. I think the images captured by the original posterare really neat and are of very high quality. But they are not wild images, and saying that they are kind of takes away form the images of people who dedicate the time to film actual wild animals. I think it's important to make that distinction.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:23 AM   #10

All are very nice shots !!! It would be my view to say these wolfs are in there natural environment and not caged so in my option........... I would say gallatin is really just Nit - Pickin for 1 reason or another and I think Mike in his opening description did not try to pull a fast 1 on any 1 here...

great photos!!!

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote