Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:58 AM   #1

Can somebody give me advice on controlling noise in my images. I have been shooting at ISO400 and an aperture of 8...I then just used "despeckle" in adobe. I have to crop my images to fill the frame until a longer lens comes my way. anybody got a better way...thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:04 AM   #2

Hi Donna. Noiseware Community has a free download you might want to check out.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:13 AM   #3

Thanks is that what you use...how about your iso and aperture combination. donna
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:36 AM   #4

Donna, iso 400 and any aperture with a proper exposure should not produce too much noise with your carmera. I would try adobe's reduce noise feature rather that the despeckle. It will take a little getting used to, but will probably yield better results.

Bob
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:05 AM   #5

Hi Donna.

I agree with Bob. Proper exposure on a Canon at ISO 400 should be almost squeaky clean I would think. Are you maybe underexposing the photo, and then boosting your exposure in pp? If so, you're in effect just boosting the ISO in post processing. The best advice I could give is to try to get your subject exposed correctly - don't worry about a dark background or blown background. Concentrate on getting the subject exposed correctly, and then you won't have to be boosting your exposure in pp'ing, and thus introduce a lot of unwanted noise. You should be able to shoot at fairly high ISO's on your Canon, as long as your exposure is correct. Maybe try spot metering as an option if you're having trouble getting your subject exposed correctly. There's lots of variables involved, but as Bob stated, correct exposure is your biggest friend at reducing noise levels.

If you do need a NR program, there are quite a few freebies out there. Neat Image, Noiseware Community, Picture Cooler, and others. They're all pretty good, and easy to use with a little fiddling. Hope this helps a little.......cheers......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:56 AM   #6

Donna, a very good noise removal prog is Noise Ninja, found here http://www.picturecode.com/, it is relatively inexpensive, and if you have already spent loads on equipment, it's worth a little extra to fine tune your pics and get what you really want. A good free prog is Helicon Filter, found here http://www.heliconfilter.com/, however, I would suggest Noise Ninja, as it is also a Photoshop Plugin, so you can use it within Photoshop.
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:27 PM   #7

Well I am also cropping them a lot...would this increase noise too..? ButI heard what you all are saying...get the exposure right and with the 30D noise shouldn't be a big problem. I will play with my adobe 4.0 noise reductionalso, I haven't even tried it. Is there any "formula" you guys use for birding...iso, aperture, metering...thanks,Donna
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:56 PM   #8

Donna,

i've seen some noise in a few shots with my 30D, but as a rule, it's pretty darn clean up to ISO 800. above that, it can get a bit spotty, but below 800, noise really isn't an issue unless the image is underexposed, or contains a lot of shadows. Canons have remarkably good noise control, so as long as you get a proper exposure, noise should be minimal up to 800...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:05 PM   #9

yeah I think you are right...the area in question was underexposed and I cropped it also. donna