Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1

These are my first pics with my Nikon D50. Im new at photography and would love to get some comments and tips. Thanks and enjoy

j3ss1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:42 PM   #2

The second pic is special....

One tip...I see alot of these images have the sun on the side or back. Sometimes that's an advantage, but with animals and birds, it's good to get bright eyes...only possible when the sun is on the eyes.

Second, although I know this is hard in some places, I'd try to find more natural looking perches than a chainlink fence:roll:

Great series, keep practicing and KEEP POSTING!

Kita
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:28 PM   #3

Great vivid colors from that D50. Your EXIF data is Focal Length = 300mm, what lens did you use?
Keep um coming, nice job.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments and tips. I used the sigma 70-300mm
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5

Overall, you have some nice pictures. However, the whites are overexposed (commonly called "blown out") in most of them, at least they appear that way on my monitor. This is a common problem with white subjects. When taking such shots in the future, you may wish to spot meter on the brightest part of the white, or reduce your exposure compensation by about 2/3 of a stop or so.
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:35 AM   #6

Hi Jessica,

Like previous posters mentioned, the sun can be an ally or your enemy, depending on circumstances and the effect you're trying to achieve. My advice is to keep shooting and posting pics here.Review other photos posted here and compare them to yours for differences in lighting, composition, subject placement. distance, etc. Also, cloudy days can be very good for shooting since there are no hard shadows to interfere with your subject. Lastly, if you haven't done this yet, Google the expression

"Rule of thirds"photo

just as shown, and what you'll learn from the resulting hitswill yield immediate resultswith the composition of your shots.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:48 PM   #7

Thanks alot guys, i really dont know anything about photography, some people told me to learn before buying a camera but i just couldnt resist. Im gonna take notes of all you tips and practice some more and i will post the results later on. Thanks again