Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:20 PM   #1

Wildlife Photo equipment set up (BIGMA)

K10D / RDS / BushHawk / Sigma 50-500 Lens

This morning was my 1st test with this new set up. Why am I such a happy camper???

I am the most un-mechanical person I have ever met and it took me about 10 minutes to get my camera on the BushHawk and plugged in and ready to go. It is so simple they don't include directions and there is no reason to include directions. I will guess the average person can get it done in 5 minutes if it took me 10minutes.

My plan for this new set up was to come up with a faster way to have the camera ready to press the shutter & make the camera and a big lens easy to carry and save wear and tear on my hands and my neck from the camera strap. After a few hours the BIGMA and a camera can begin to feel pretty heavy (probably because it is). I took it a friend of mine who is a gun smith and he attached 2 swivel post to the BushHawk and we put on a wide rifle sling. I adjusted it so I can have it in hiking or walking position and change to "the ready position" in probably 1 to 2 seconds. All the weight is on my shoulders and my arms and hands are free and yet I can be taking pictures in a couple of seconds. How sweet it is, YES I am a real happy camper. Lots of times when I am out in the woods I use my shooting sticks as a hiking staff and this set up works perfect with them for a tripod if additional stabilization is needed.

The learning curve: Basically none for me as I am used to a rifle and or shotgun and every thing about this is the same. If you have ever done any clay shooting or wing shooting you will find there is no learning curve. Panning IMHO is now about 30 to 50 percent easier for me. I also noticed how much easier it is to hold the camera steady because I am pushing the stock into my shoulder and it is more difficult for the camera to jump around.

He is the set up

Here is the set up in hiking or walking around position. Its is magic I can move around and my arms and hands are not needed to hold the camera

Here it is in the ready to get a photo position. Raise to your shoulder put your hand on the trigger button and you are ready. With my first tests I am thinking I may no longer need to use my RDS to find the animal. I am going to try it both ways some more before I make a decision.

All you do now is put your finger on the trigger button and you are taking photos in burst mode.

Bottom Line: After the first test I am a double happy camper.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:57 PM   #2

Great setup Roger. I've been around for quite awhile and I remember back in the '60's that you could get a rifle stock type of affair that you could mount camera and long, heavy lens, on, sort of like your setup.

I think it works well, I like what you have better than the old fashined style. Let us know how it works and if you have to modify it.

Very professional looking, just be careful around police or walking into a convenience store, late at night, when the light isn't too good.

They might mistake it for a Hechler & Koch.:ak47:
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:16 PM   #3

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Great setup Roger. I've been around for quite awhile and I remember back in the '60's that you could get a rifle stock type of affair that you could mount camera and long, heavy lens, on, sort of like your setup.

I think it works well, I like what you have better than the old fashined style. Let us know how it works and if you have to modify it.

Very professional looking, just be careful around police or walking into a convenience store, late at night, when the light isn't too good.

They might mistake it for a Hechler & Koch.:ak47:
My first test was a head turner for me. Much easier and faster than I expected. I work with all the law enforcment agencies in the area I live in so no problem with them and around here every body knows everybody so I don't expect any problems. If one of the cops gets a call about a guy in a silver car with a bazooka he can tell them "not a problem its just Wackey roger and his camera set up. Then he will radio me and we will laught about it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:19 PM   #4

thats totally wacky :G
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:43 PM   #5

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
thats totally wacky :G
Thank you nymphetamine for the fun comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:54 PM   #6

wow... now THAT is a setup I'D like to have!! i spend enough time toting my 30D and the 80-400 around, it'd be really nice to have something like that! and being um... shall we say, intimately?.... familiar with rifle shooting, the idea of aiming my camera like i would a shotgun, tracking birds in flight, would be a snap! i think i'd pass on the red-dot... aiming this thing would be so natural for me, i wouldn't even need it!

i assume the little shutter button above the grip actuates the AF as well as the shutter just like the one on the camera - half-press to focus, full-press to shoot?

like Lesmore49, i remember the old wood-stock adapters they made years ago... looked like a refugee from a crossbow factory, but they worked. this looks lighter and more durable and more comfortable to use, all in one!

let us know how it works in practice... i'm anxious for the first "action reports"...

PS... is that your photo store in the background? :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:59 PM   #7

for anyone who wants a closer look at the BushHawk itself, here's a link...

http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:08 PM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
wow... now THAT is a setup I'D like to have!! i spend enough time toting my 30D and the 80-400 around, it'd be really nice to have something like that! and being um... shall we say, intimately?.... familiar with rifle shooting, the idea of aiming my camera like i would a shotgun, tracking birds in flight, would be a snap! i think i'd pass on the red-dot... aiming this thing would be so natural for me, i wouldn't even need it!

i assume the little shutter button above the grip actuates the AF as well as the shutter just like the one on the camera - half-press to focus, full-press to shoot?

like Lesmore49, i remember the old wood-stock adapters they made years ago... looked like a refugee from a crossbow factory, but they worked. this looks lighter and more durable and more comfortable to use, all in one!

let us know how it works in practice... i'm anxious for the first "action reports"...

PS... is that your photo store in the background? :G
Hi to YA!!! Rocky, like I said in my first test and first hike I feel like a teenager with a new girlfriend. This makes things easy as compared to before.

I said in my original post and I believe it is true the RDS is going to be gone. In my tests there was no longer an advantage to having it.

Yes the shutter button above the grip works just like the shutter button on the camera.

Yup!!! that is one of the places we sell photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:09 PM   #9

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
for anyone who wants a closer look at the BushHawk itself, here's a link...

http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm
Rocky, thanks for posting the link.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:30 PM   #10

Roger, that is beyond wacky and into the realm of totally insane! what a great setup!!!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote