Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:22 PM   #1

BushHawk/Bigma - in the field Review

another WACKY roger Review

Why did I use the Pentax K10D and the Sigma 50 - 500??? Cuz that is what I own. I am sure any camera with a heavy lens would work the same as what I used.

These shots are all hand held I did not rest the set up on anything. For this test I found out moving around in the woods is much easier with the BushHawk than with out it. My hands were available and the shoulder strap made the whole thing comfortable. I did figure out for me the second handle in the front is well worth the money cuz you can use one hand to keep it firmly against your shoulder while your other hand adjusts the zoom. I also suggest you attach the rifle strap to the top of the BushHawk so the camera stays upright rather than up side down. I found it to be faster this way and you feel a lot more comfortable that is is secure with it up right rather than hanging down.

How the BushHawk looks being used. Here is a link to some photos of the BushHawk

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=122342&forum_id=11

White tail deer, I was sitting down.

Ducks, this time on one knee

Osprey, this time I was standing up

I don't know what kind of bird these character's are but I noticed some thing move to the left of me so I turned and was right on them I was only able to get 4 shots in burst mode so they were only there for a very short time. The 1st photo was what I think are the mom and the dad then the other 3 in the burst had what I think is there young one who had joined them. In this case With out the BushHawk I do not think I would of gotten a photo much less a keeper. It is much faster getting on the subject.

Bottom Line: If you are going to be outdoors with a heavy camera & lens and you want a larger percentage of keepers then you should consider the BushHawk. After my in the field tests I think I am safe in saying my camera will be attached to the BushHawk probably 98% of the time.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:31 PM   #2

Well thanks a lot Roger! Now I'm gonn have to go out and spend more $$ on photographic accessories! Spousal acceptance is not guaranteed. Seriously though, those are superb shots and the Bush Hawk looks awesome. I'll be looking into it. Thanks, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:32 PM   #3

fishguy wrote:
Quote:
Well thanks a lot Roger! Now I'm gonn have to go out and spend more $$ on photographic accessories! Spousal acceptance is not guaranteed. Seriously though, those are superb shots and the Bush Hawk looks awesome. I'll be looking into it. Thanks, Dan
Hi to YA!!! Dan, as far as the BushHawk is concerned I am a happy camper. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:41 PM   #4

Awesome photos. I am picturing you with your BushHawk up to your shoulder, whiping around like an infantryman taking shots at anything that moved. (just the picture I got in my head while reading your dialogue).

I think BushHawk should be giving you some kind of kick back for the superb reviews.

Scott
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:49 PM   #5
VP

That appears to be a nice piece of equipment, Roger. I don't know why I have put off buying one....have had it own my mind for a year (when my mind is on).

Nice job!

BTW Your little birds appear to be House Finches....have a brown cap.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:10 PM   #6

Thanks allot for the review. One more gadget to add to the collection.:!:
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:58 PM   #7

Great shooting and results Roger. Like the others, I can see the benefit of owing the Bushhawk. Will be looking into one myself...cheers.........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:34 PM   #8

yep, that does it. i'm puttin' a Bushhawk on my wish list!! the 80-400 isn't as big andheavy as the Bigma, thoughthe difference isn't great, but i can just imagine how much fasterthe "on-target" times areusing it! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:02 PM   #9

overkill wrote:
Quote:
Awesome photos. I am picturing you with your BushHawk up to your shoulder, whiping around like an infantryman taking shots at anything that moved. (just the picture I got in my head while reading your dialogue).

I think BushHawk should be giving you some kind of kick back for the superb reviews.

Scott
Nope nobody at BushHawk has ever contacted me first about anything. I did send them the links to me post and they answered me saying thank you. I also sent them a couple of suggestions but I haven't heard back. Thanks for looking and for taking the time to comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:04 PM   #10

VP wrote:
Quote:
That appears to be a nice piece of equipment, Roger. I don't know why I have put off buying one....have had it own my mind for a year (when my mind is on).

Nice job!

BTW Your little birds appear to be House Finches....have a brown cap.
Lucky me my mind was on so I ordered one. I used it agin today and I have pretty much decided it will be attached to my camera pretty much full time. Them there House Finches sure do move around fast and I never saw them in one spot for very long. Thanks VP for looking and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger