Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 6, 2007, 11:15 AM   #1

I really don't go looking for vultures, but there was a flock of turkey vultures circling something in the woods behind my house when I went out this morning. Shooting into a bright sky at ISO 100. On shot #1 there is white fringing to the rear of the feathers. It was not the result of processing because it was there before my first steps. I deliberately didn't try to take it out so I could ask about its cause and possible fixes.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2

These were shot with a Fuji s6000fd with a Sony HGD-1758 teleconverter. ISO is 100...f5.6.....1/324th.
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2007, 12:01 PM   #3

There is a translucence to the feathers in the first photo indicating strong backlighting - the edges of thefeathers with lighter tipsare probably worn thin, and thus transmit more light. The sun's angleon the bird may bedifferent in the second shot, as there is less translucence to the feathers.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 3:57 AM   #4

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
These were shot with a Fuji s6000fd with a Sony HGD-1758 teleconverter. ISO is 100...f5.6.....1/324th.
I believe the Sony teleconverter is the problem. It isknow for producing chroma aberrations and takes away detail and saturation from the pic.

Nikon's teleconvertersare a much better choice.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 5:32 AM   #5

Thanks penolta and jota. I suspect you're both right. The sun was near its peak, slightly to the SE. Shot #1 was nearly directly overhead, or slightly to the SE, but not directly into the sun. Shot #2 was more to the W, thus changing the angle the sun was striking the feathers relative to the camera.

jota, I'm still a relative beginner to photography and I have heard chromatic aberration discussed and seen some of the more obvious examples (purple fringing, etc.), so I suspected that might be the case. This is the first time that I have seen it on shots with the Sony teleconverter, but it's also one of my first attempts at a bird in flight. It's a problem I'm going to have to live with till I can save enough pennies to buy a Pentax K10D, although overall, I have been very pleased with the lens' performance.

Old May 7, 2007, 1:40 PM   #6

Not to be argumentative, but you asked about WHITE fringing. Chromatic aberrationis caused bydifferential refraction of the wave lengths in the visible spectrum, suchthatall wave lengthsdo not converge on a single point, resulting in some blurring of the image -- the degree of which depending on the severity of the aberration. The purple fringing to which you refer would result from the wave lengths at the blue end of the spectrum being displaced outside of the edges of the image. White light consists of all wave lengths, and sowould notresullt fromchromatic aberration.

My monitor also shows some purpletowards the ends of the feathers on one wing inof the first image, If real, this could be some degree of chromatic aberration, and could be corrected in editing, but the whiterepresents anatural phenomenon and could be left in as a matter of accuracy.

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote