Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 17, 2007, 1:10 PM   #1

How do you SELL photos

I was thinking that selling photos is probably like everything else that has to do with cameras. Everybody has their own ideas. If we all share our ideas everybody may pick up on a few new ones to try. Remember the more photos you sell the more money is available for new camera toys.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 4:03 PM   #2

I sell framed photos in a local gift shop, although I am not sure how to answer this question.

With that said, most of the images that I have sold were of local points of interest, things that the people recognize and relate to.

I have not tried to sell any of my wildlife images. I have a great interest in wildlife, particularly birds. I have found most people could care less about birds, let alone buy a photo of one.

With that said, I should give it a try.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 4:18 PM   #3

jbarrick wrote:
Quote:
I sell framed photos in a local gift shop, although I am not sure how to answer this question.

With that said, most of the images that I have sold were of local points of interest, things that the people recognize and relate to.

I have not tried to sell any of my wildlife images. I have a great interest in wildlife, particularly birds. I have found most people could care less about birds, let alone buy a photo of one.

With that said, I should give it a try.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, I think you have nailed one of the better ideas. "I have sold were of local points of interest".

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 17, 2007, 6:48 PM   #4

This Thread WHY ????

I see a lot of beautiful photos here on the forum and I was wondering how many people sell their photos and if they do how do they go about selling them. I just assumed some folks that don't sell there photos might want to and this thread might give them some ideas how to do that. YES I also am always looking for new ideas so if I see something that will work for me I will try it. My idea for this thread was not so much for me but for others to get some new ideas that might help them.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 17, 2007, 7:44 PM   #5

Hello Roger,

You can try http://www.smugmug.com

A lot of people use this to sell photos, and you control the majority of the selling features. Take a look at it. You can also use my reference number

4fLLwTcp5tDCk

if you decide to pursue it. I have tried it for a year, and I love it. They are extremely helpful and give you the opportunity to create your own personal website and show your galleries. You can password protect them if you decide to shoot other venues and so on. You can share photos on links, allow people to comment, share with groups, friends ect... the opportunities are endless, depending on your creativity.

If an image sells, they take care of the printing, shipping and credit card fees for 15% of the profit, which you set up front. People look at you images, and can buy them on the spot. Just take a look at the website and then you can decide. Joining the professional level allows you to sell images. I started last September, and will rejoin when the time is up.

Now they are giving you the option to sell stock photos. This is new, and I have to read up on it more, but it sounds like a great idea.

I think you will like it.

Jeff

Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 7:49 PM   #6

Jeffonyourleft wrote:
Quote:
Hello Roger,

You can try http://www.smugmug.com

A lot of people use this to sell photos, and you control the majority of the selling features. Take a look at it. You can also use my reference number

4fLLwTcp5tDCk

if you decide to pursue it. I have tried it for a year, and I love it. They are extremely helpful and give you the opportunity to create your own personal website and show your galleries. You can password protect them if you decide to shoot other venues and so on. You can share photos on links, allow people to comment, share with groups, friends ect... the opportunities are endless, depending on your creativity.

If an image sells, they take care of the printing, shipping and credit card fees for 15% of the profit, which you set up front. People look at you images, and can buy them on the spot. Just take a look at the website and then you can decide. Joining the professional level allows you to sell images. I started last September, and will rejoin when the time is up.

Now they are giving you the option to sell stock photos. This is new, and I have to read up on it more, but it sounds like a great idea.

I think you will like it.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff sounds like a good option for folks to look into. I have a couple of sites I sell photos on but I am going to check it out. Maybe the more places the better.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 17, 2007, 8:29 PM   #7

I was asked what I do, so here is some of what I do. I live in an area that is very small & tourist orientated so some of what I do wouldn't work for a lot of you. Hopefully some of these methods can be adjusted to your area and will help you make a few extra bucks to buy more camera toys.

I do a lot of different things rather than just one way for me I found many ways works better for increasing the bank account. A few sales from each method starts to add up at the end of the year.

1. Internet - I have two web sites that I sell photos from.

2. Hotel Rooms - Using photos that we have for sale in our hotel rooms as decoration.

3. Gift shops - I have two gift shops on the 1st floor and we have photos for sale in both of them. To get peoples attention I have a 19inch monitor playing a 868 photo slide show and a 8x10 image frame player showing photos. I learned many years ago that movement attracts peoples attention and the changing photos works like movement.

4. We have a free computer with Internet access for our Hotel guests and when a guest is not using it a slide show of 868 photos for sale is playing.

5. I use my photos for magazine, TV and newspaper adds for our community, state parks and our railroad.

6. I have photos being used by both of our state colleges in new books they are putting together. Both books are suppose to be available the first part of 2008. My GUESS is the photo credits and a blurp about me and the photos will also increase sales.

7. POD wins has caused E-mails asking if I sell photos and I have sold some from the inquiries.

8. I make myself available for special events. Example: Our railroad has numerous special trains such as the annual Rotary train steak dinner and moonlight ride train. I ride and take photos and pass out business cards with one of the web sites where I will put up the photos for sale. I pay the Rotary club a % of the sales.

9. At special events shoot the people and use their photos with the event photos. Example: At the Osprey Fest last year I took a lot of photos of people shooting at the Osprey and made the photos of them taking photos available. The most popular ones are the photos of the customer taking the photo as a insert on a background photo of the event.

10. Real Estate Featured Properties. I contacted all the real estate companies in my area and I take photos of their feature properties. These are their better and more expensive listings and they seem to be willing to pay to have better photos of them. I also do 360 photos for them.

11. I also build web sites so there is an opportunity for me to take photos for the new customers web site.

12. We take folks out on wildlife camera hunts. This is like double dipping - Paid to take them out and find something for them to shoot at and while they are taking photos I take photos of them taking photos and these are made available to them.

13. Our area is known for its great elk hunting. To get started I made up a bunch of business cards and passed them out to the different outfitters and the game processing plants telling about my service of taking photos of hunters and their animal. This idea turned into a yearly contract with one of the outfitters. I contract with him for 6 days a week September thru December.

If any one has a question about the ways I am selling photos please ask and I will try and explain it better.

IF YOU ALL WILL SHARE YOUR METHODS maybe we all can come up with some new ideas to try. Remember the more photos you sell, the more money for camera toys.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 17, 2007, 9:01 PM   #8

Roger,

i've only just begun to look seriously at marketing my work, because it's only in the last 6-9 months that i've taken shots i feel are good enough. perhaps i'm too critical of my own work, but i've seen "the good stuff", and tend to judge my own work accordingly.

that said, i've sold a few prints, but had my best success selling LARGE prints of local scenery through a frame shop/gallery. for example, i've soldsome 20"x30" prints of Mt. Shuksan, and one 30x40 shot of the Seattle skyline at night. one of the prints of Mt. Shuksan was bought by a businessman from South Korea who wanted it to hang in his office back home. the gal who runs the gallery frames the photos and hangs them on display for me, and if she sells one, i make some money. i've also sold a few as a result of people seeing my work online, though most of those have been small prints, and i've not sold many.

of course, in an urban area the size of Seattle, there are a LOT of galleries, shops, and boutiques selling photos, so the competition is really stiff. my main goal for now is to simply get a little name recognition, which hopefully i can build on later. to help with that, i've had some cards printed up which i leave with various people to hand out to anyone interested in my work. they have my photo of Mt. Shuksan on them, with the text superimposed over that.

i've also found that, as Jeff said, most of those who buy photos are not interested in wildlife. they want pretty scenes, or some kind of "artsy" photos, not pictures of birds or beasties. the latter might be marketable to the right magazines or nature periodicals, but the average person just isn't interested. there are a lot of office buildings, of course, and hospitals and the like, that often hang photos in their lobbies, etc., and that's another place to look for potential sales. i've not yet really tapped into that market yet, but once i get a little more in my portfolio, i think i'll start approaching some of those people as well.

i knowa lot of photographers make money shooting people, weddings, babies, senior portraits and the like... i just can't do that. i don't like photographing people that much. i see people all day, every day, the last thing i want to do is take pictures of them, and then have to deal with them complaining about the zit on their chin that they forgot about, or having to mess with photos to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so to speak... so i stick to nature and scenics. and since i don't need to make money at it, i can be choosy.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:15 PM   #9

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

i've only just begun to look seriously at marketing my work, because it's only in the last 6-9 months that i've taken shots i feel are good enough. perhaps i'm too critical of my own work, but i've seen "the good stuff", and tend to judge my own work accordingly.

that said, i've sold a few prints, but had my best success selling LARGE prints of local scenery through a frame shop/gallery. for example, i've soldsome 20"x30" prints of Mt. Shuksan, and one 30x40 shot of the Seattle skyline at night. one of the prints of Mt. Shuksan was bought by a businessman from South Korea who wanted it to hang in his office back home. the gal who runs the gallery frames the photos and hangs them on display for me, and if she sells one, i make some money. i've also sold a few as a result of people seeing my work online, though most of those have been small prints, and i've not sold many.

of course, in an urban area the size of Seattle, there are a LOT of galleries, shops, and boutiques selling photos, so the competition is really stiff. my main goal for now is to simply get a little name recognition, which hopefully i can build on later. to help with that, i've had some cards printed up which i leave with various people to hand out to anyone interested in my work. they have my photo of Mt. Shuksan on them, with the text superimposed over that.

i've also found that, as Jeff said, most of those who buy photos are not interested in wildlife. they want pretty scenes, or some kind of "artsy" photos, not pictures of birds or beasties. the latter might be marketable to the right magazines or nature periodicals, but the average person just isn't interested. there are a lot of office buildings, of course, and hospitals and the like, that often hang photos in their lobbies, etc., and that's another place to look for potential sales. i've not yet really tapped into that market yet, but once i get a little more in my portfolio, i think i'll start approaching some of those people as well.

i knowa lot of photographers make money shooting people, weddings, babies, senior portraits and the like... i just can't do that. i don't like photographing people that much. i see people all day, every day, the last thing i want to do is take pictures of them, and then have to deal with them complaining about the zit on their chin that they forgot about, or having to mess with photos to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so to speak... so i stick to nature and scenics. and since i don't need to make money at it, i can be choosy.
Rocky you just gave me an idea. It may be a good way to pay for a vacation.

1st draft, needs some work.

Take a laptop, printer and especially a camera and stop and take photos of cool scenery around a area you like. Make a slide show & then try and sell them to lodging establishments for re-sale in their rooms. You might be able to sell them off the slide show that you show them on your laptop. Gives them a way to make a few extra bucks and gives you some new customers. On most trips in between fun scenic areas there is a Walmart so you could keep a supply of frames ready so the sale is turnkey all they have to do is hang it and price it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 17, 2007, 9:23 PM   #10

And you still need ideas?? Ha ha ha It looks like you have a great market to sell to. My addition was probably useless, of course not knowing exactly what you do.

Do you place images in high traffic areas? For instance, take a hospital, or a doctor's waiting area. I only say this because I work in a hospital, where the traffic is constant, and in waiting rooms, where people usually wind up waiting longer than necessary (doctors offices).

I enjoy sports, so I invested in lenses, and decided to create a small business, which I am having fun with. I do use smugmug to show the galleries, and as I stated in the previous email, sell them to the parents. I try to improve with every event, or game, and give the coaches business cards to hand out to the parents. The majority of the galleries are password protected for the safety of the children, but the parents enjoy the pictures and I do sell images. I have created collages for people, photo art with images of their child, magazine covers and still trying to find other ways to sell images. It is a hobby, but I like it and am having fun doing it. I am not the best at it, but parents do like the pictures, and I am working at getting better. Here is the site.

www.inthezonephotos.com

I do work full time, and have a family, so when I can get to shoot a game, I try.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote