Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:37 PM   #1

Got a few more BIF shots processed from the last outing.

1)

2)

3)

4) I was so busy concentrating on the nesting ospreys, that this Northern Harrier almost snuck by me.

5) The Black Skimmers have returned to backbay in large numbers again.

6)

Thanks for looking.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:44 PM   #2

Hung,

they all look great. You definitely made a good choice with the new lens. BTW, are you using a TC with that? If not do you indend to?
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:32 PM   #3

Very nice indeed. They're an interesting variety. I love the pic of the Skimmers skimming. Very cool captures.
Well Done,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:16 AM   #4

Thanks! I am not using a TC for these shots. One of the reasons that I decided upon getting the canon ef 400mm f5.6 is that it is very sharp wide open and it is lighting fast when it comes to autofocusing on the target. I particularly enjoy the challenge of photographing birds in flight. In order to do that, I need the lens to be able to focus quickly. When you add a TC it will noticeably slow down the autofocus speed and accuracy. Before I bought this lens, I tried using a 300mm f4 IS + 1.4x TC and there was a noticeable difference.

Also keep in mind that I handhold all of my shots. Shooting with a 400mm prime lens at a bird flying in the air is quite challenging. Adding a 1.4 x TC will make it a 560mm lens, which is even more difficult to keep steady. You will also lose a stop of light on the apeture, making it f8 wide open. On my canon 20d, I will lose all autofocus capability (if I use a canon TC). So then I would have a 560mm f8 manual focus lens, which would necesitate a tripod and shooting stationary targets.

You can use sigma/tamron/kenko TC's and use the 3 pin taping method, BUT the autofocus that you do get will still be slower and alot less accurate.

Currently I prefer shooting without a TC because the lens is quite sharp which allows me to crop my pics if need be and still get quite useable pics. Sometimes, this turns out to be a better option for getting more hypothetical focal length.

If you have read some of thekman's recent posts, he has talked about how some nature photographers believe longer lenses are the answer to better shots. We both agree that this is not completely true. I still try to get as close to my subjects as possible for the shots. Sometimes this works and other times when a bird is across a pond, then I will have to crop and see how it looks. If it is an accurately focussed shot, then chances are that I will be able to get away with a more aggressive crop and still have good image quality.

I hope this answers you question. LOL. Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Hung

Cool Breeze wrote:
Quote:
Hung,

they all look great. You definitely made a good choice with the new lens. BTW, are you using a TC with that? If not do you indend to?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:16 AM   #5

Great shots Hung. Love the first one especially!...cheers.........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:58 PM   #6

Quote:
When you add a TC it will noticeably slow down the autofocus speed and accuracy.
I don't think you'd ever want to put a TC on a F/5.6 lens, as a matter of fact it is not recommended, that'sanother good reason to buy the primes F/2.8 orthe F/4's. If you think that F/5.6 is fast, go out and pick up an F/2.8!! Shazaam, you'll never want to give it back. Those are neat shots, putting that lens on a tripod w/ a good ballhead will help you improve your sharpness as well.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:26 PM   #7

I would love to have a 300mm f2.8 lens but that is out of my budget.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:59 AM   #8

I hear you there. If you look for one that is used and a few years older without the VR, you can probably get a "good" deal on one. When I say good, I mean in that $2.500 range vs the $4,900 range. It's a heavy lens and in my opinion VR doesn't make as much difference as you'd think because you'll have it on a tripod anyways if you want to get those "tack sharp" images. keep up the good work. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:43 AM   #9

Yes, a f/2.8 300 would be heaven, unfortunately, they're a heavenly price, although if you wanted a 3rd party, Sigma4less has them at around $2400. Here's the link to it.....http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...300F28DCA%3D29
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:11 AM   #10

Don't tempt me!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh! *must resist LBA*

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, a f/2.8 300 would be heaven, unfortunately, they're a heavenly price, although if you wanted a 3rd party, Sigma4less has them at around $2400. Here's the link to it.....http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...300F28DCA%3D29