Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:18 PM   #1

Yesterday afternoon I went down by the lake where I often shoot and was surprised to see a large white duck I had seen several times was proudly displaying a new brood of five.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:22 PM   #2

This morning, I went back and I saw Mom taking her brood out into the water for a swimming lesson
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:26 PM   #3

I have seenmany photos on this forum of ducklings neatly lined up swimming behind their mother. Not for these guys. Mom was going nuts trying to keep them corralled, but they kept going off on their own
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:30 PM   #4

I got so wrapped up in laughing at the ducklings that I almost missed this guy when he came roaring down the shoreline.
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:34 PM   #5

nice shots. i especially like the 1st and last shots. good job.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:45 PM   #6

I enjoy shooting the local ducks, too, coach - they make fun subjects. I'm glad you were able to nab that fine shot of the GBH, as I blew my one chance, and they are not especially common around my locale. Good job!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:36 AM   #7

We don't have a lot of herons here, but I have watched this guy all spring and summer. He flies over my house each morning at 6:30, regular as clockwork, a commuter on his way to the office, and he returns each evening at 6:15. I finally figured out that he likes to fish just below a dam on the Ouachita River about three miles from my house, so I know generally where to find him just about any morning I want to. Occasionally, he'll tolerate me getting relatively close, but more often he'll fly into a fog bank and take up residence on the other side of the river ill I leave.

The shots I've really been wanting to get of him are take-off and landing, but so far I've struck out. Yesterday mornng, he had flown away just as I arrived at the riverbank, so when he came straight down the bank flying parallel to it, it took me by surprise.

A few minutes after this shot, I had walked to the parking lot and looked up just in time to see him going down the opposite shore, flying along with a smaller heron. I'm wondering if he's found his "soul-mate," lol. I definitely plan to keep visiting him.

Thanks for looking and commenting, flipped and hung.