Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:07 PM   #1

Great Blue Herons can be found in northern New Jersey, but are not very common. This is the first time I can recall seeing one actually standing still.

This afternoon I was taking junk to the local recycling center, and at the last minute grabbed my camera - I figured what the heck, I'll take a quick drive along the edge of Lake Musconetcong... and then lo and behold, I see a GBH standing in the water! I quickly pulled over, grabbed the camera. switched to aperture mode [I leave set to F8] and shot away at full zoom. After I snapped a few pics, I grabbed an old tripod out of my truck (the good one was at home, along with my teleconverter, drats!) and started screwing the camera onto it, but then the heron flew away. Ah, well...

The sun was in front of me and to the left, thus the lighting wasn't ideal for getting body detail of the heron, so I Photoshopped and applied Neatimage.

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2

hey, we don't get swans!! i wanna refund! :lol: nice capture, to get all in the same frame...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:43 PM   #3

Beautiful shot. We seem to haveplenty of herons here in northern Wisconsin. I posted a couple shots I took yesterday.
rornberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks, guys. This was my favorite of the 5 frames I was able to nab before the heron split. No time to really compose, but I'm glad I thought to take the camera at the last moment!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:40 PM   #5

nice capture. i didn't even notice the baby swan when i first took a look at this pic.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:54 PM   #6

Good on you for picking up the camera and getting the shot. The composition of the threesome is neat (then one notices the baby making it a foursome but really still three in compositional terms.) Maybe the tele-converter could hang off the rear view mirror as a charm/drop and always be with you.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote