Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:36 AM   #1

Default Small Copper

Saturday was very warm and calm in Edinburgh, so this was my first good chance to try out my new AF200 Micro lens. As well as minor heat exhaustion on Arthur's Seat I also got this.

checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:06 AM   #2

Another great shot from you Graham.

Question: what's your impression so far of your 200mm micro ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:38 AM   #3

Thank-you Klaus , I'm realy glad you like it. The Small Coppers have just started to appear on Arthur's Seat, and last night was a real treat with more of them, plus Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Grayling, Peacock and a single Comma (my first ! ).

You asked for my thoughts on the 200 Micro.

I really like the quality of the focus, it has a real solidity about it that I always associate with good engineering. I also like the image quality and the colour rendition, but I've probably not used it enough to compare it with my 28-105.

The 200mm reach is very useful for the less co-operative subjects (Meadow Brown Butterflies and Small Coppers on a hot day), but doesn't give you a guaranteed result with something like a Dragonfly. In hot conditions I can't get any closer than 5ft from a Common Darter, and I've not found 200mm enough at that range.

It's quite a heavy lens, and I've only been able to get decent results with it on a tripod. As a result I tend to take the 28-105 with me for an evening walk (using the shoulder pod as a support) and use the 200mm for the rare, still, weekend days.

Overall I like it for my small insect work, but as always it's a case of using the appropriate tools for the job. It's not a general purpose lens....
Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:38 PM   #4

Would an extention tube reduce the close focus and allow for closer, larger pictures?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 6:45 PM   #5

Beautiful shot, Graham!
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:58 AM   #6

Ward, thank you very much. There's so much delightfull detail and colour in these beasties, it's a real pleasure to get a chance to see it.

Eric, There are a couple of close-up options. Nikon refer to a close-up tube for the 200 Micro, but there's also their 6T type close-up filters. Something I'll definitely have a look at.

p.s. Bjorn Rorslett recommends the 6T approach on http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2_PC.html
Old Aug 13, 2003, 3:37 AM   #7

Graham,

I think the moth is caught in the classic dilemna - the flower always looks better on the other branch.
Good work..loved it.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:22 AM   #8

Thank you Selvin. You're quite right, by the way, it kept on moving back and forwards between the two !

Some other insects are a lot more methodical, and will work on a flower of that type for ages.