Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:28 PM   #1

Raw image Converted with Capture NX

1/60 at f16.0
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO 200
300mm tripod & timer, VR off

I focused on the Herons eye; it appears that the rocks are in better focus.

What do you think?
CC welcome

Jeff
Attached Images

jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2007, 4:06 PM   #2

Hello Jeff,

I am assuming that this is the full framed original sized image without any crops, since you did not mention anything about cropping. It is hard to tell the level of focus accuracy of the heron since the heron is small compared to the rest of the image itself. If you provided a 100% crop, then we can better assess the heron itself.

A couple of things I noticed about this pic.

1) First off I look at where the light is coming from. The shadows appear between you and your subjects ( the heron and the rocks). I'm guessing this picture was taken a roughly around mid day ( maybe a little before or shortly after). The heron shows highlights behind it. So the light that is illuminating your subject is not ideal for your position in relation to the subject. Sometimes when the lights is not ideal, my camera will not focus as accurately.

2) Also the heron is pretty far out there and only comprises a very small percentage of the entire frame. My camera too would have a tough time focussing accurately on a distant small subject. Sometimes there is just not enough for the camera to focus on in relation to the rest of the frame, if the subject is beyond the comfortable limits of the focal length.

3) You are stopped down to f16. When I use to have a sigma 70-300 apo lens, I found that if I stopped down to f11 or more, the ability of the autofocus is severely compromised. I think that there is just not enough light for the autofocus mechanism.

Btw I noticed these protruding black spikes that are located on top of the rocks right of the tree. What is that? It looks medieval.

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:01 PM   #3

Thanks Hung

Your comments are spot on. I usually us f8 to f11, not today. One last note, top focus point was used, not center. That may have something to do with it as well.

Thanks again
Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote