Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:29 PM   #1

this little fellow was sitting on a leaf at the local botanical garden. i must've gotten a bit too close, because he hopped from the leaf to a nearby stem, which was actually even better, because i got a better angle on the little guy... this was shot with my FZ20, from about 6" away... the frog was probably not much over half an inch long!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:47 PM   #2

Very natural and lovely green colour for the whole frame and this tiny frozen just bulges out from the picture as a result of the soft bokeh. Probably due to much cropping, the image has turned out to be like an impressionistic painting of a frog where edges of the limbs and the hind quarter just flare out while the eye remaining razard sharp. You are right about the frog jumping onto the stem. The spots on the stem also make this shot interesting. Its shaft also divides the picture into two symmetrical halves. Whata pleasant viewing on the whole. A result of sharp observation, quick decision and skilful application of photographic senses. Congratulations.

A question: is this kind of colourful frog poisonous?
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:25 PM   #3

thanks for looking and commenting, wk7leung! no, these little fellas aren't poisonous...
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:29 PM   #4

Nice shot Squirl. They call them tree frogs up here. I don't know the proper name for them, but I've only seen them in brambles, and never close enough to get as close a you got here. I tried one day to get closer, and all I got was scratched legs and arms and no pictures. The only shots I've gotten are with my 300 and always cropped to 100%.........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:58 PM   #5

Quote:
I don't know the proper name for them
It is a Pacific Treefrog, Hyla regilla. At half an inch it is about half grown. Nice lighting and great DOFfor6" lens-to-subject distance, Squirl -- did you use fill flash?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:20 PM   #6

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know the proper name for them
It is a Pacific Treefrog, Hyla regilla. At half an inch it is about half grown. Nice lighting and great DOFfor6" lens-to-subject distance, Squirl -- did you use fill flash?
no, no fill flash.. at that distance, that would've completely blown out the poor little fella! i did have halfdecent light, and an f2.8 lens...