Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:28 PM   #11
djb

Thanx guys!!! Penolta, the heron swallowed that carp with no problems!!! Don't know where they put it but they get them down. I once saw a heron standing in a muddy area with what had to be a good 3 to 5 pound carp. It was huge!!! It struggled to get it out of the mud but was too heavy for it. After about 15 minutes of trying the heron left it and went elsewhere.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:51 PM   #12

Excellent work, Dennis. The Kingfisher shots blow me away and #6 is outstanding!

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:18 AM   #13

Superb shots Dennis! Those kingfisher shots are excellent. How close were you able to get to them? I've never been closer than maybe 150'....they're very skittish around these parts...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:19 AM   #14
djb

Don, thanx!!! 150 ft is about as close as I can get to kingfishers when not in a blind. I was at a field photography class at a wildlife sanctuary and the have a bird blind. A little shack that holds about 3 people. One of the sanctuary memebers decided to put a perch out in the little pond. I think it's about 40 or 50 feet from the blind. Even then the kingfishers are a bit timid if too much noise is made. Though, I was there alone and slammed a bench on the floor and the kingfisher never flinched. The best way to get them is with a blind. Portable camouflaged blinds work well. Just set yourself up in good proximity of a tree or stump and sit and wait, and wait, and wait and........ you get the picture! For some reason kingfishers don't sem to like humans!

Thanx all for the nice comments

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:40 AM   #15

Excellent series Dennis, well presented, cropping spot on, exposures handled well. the angry kingfisher certainly adds a lot of excitement. GREAT STUFF !!!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote