Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:06 AM   #1
AK

Default Good macro / general wildlife camera?

Hi all,

*note* I posted this in the general Q&A forum and the close ups forum, it's exactly the same, I just wasn't sure where to post it! I'm a post hog!

I'm a new member, so i'm not sure if I've posted this in the right forum... If I haven't someone tell me Oh, I"ll post it in the wildlife forum as well, it's kinda to do with wildlife..

Okay, I primarily do photography on invertebrates, and to a lesser extent 'larger' animals (such as possums, etc etc), as well as general landscape photos.

I currently have an Olympus C3020Z, which is a good overall camera. BUT, it's just not good enough for macro shots....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera with good image quality and good macro?

To make things more difficult, the 3x optical zoom was just not enough in most cases for my shots.

As I keep searching, it gets harder and harder to find an 'ideal' camera. Methinks a compromise is a must!

The Fujifilm FinePix S7000 Z has caught my eye, but there don't seem to be any reviews around yet. Does anyone know anything about this camera?

I've been reading up on the problems with higher megapixels (slower loading, slower autofocussing, etc). Are these true? Also are there any problems with the cameras with higher optical zooms (ie >3 or 4x)?

Any help would be very very much appreciated!

thanks,

AK

p.s. please excuse the lengthy post! ops:
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:58 AM   #2

Good to have you on board.

I can't help you too much, but hopefully we'll get the discussion started.

I assume you don't want to leap up to a DSLR. The replaceable lenses will allow you to get as good a macro lens as you are willing to spend $$$.

I've heard good things about many of the Nikon cameras. That they have a very good macro mode.

I think a compromise will be required as well. There is no ideal camera, even with this limited definition of ideal (good macro.)

higher MP doesn't have to be slower loading, they just have to use a better processor in the camera (or if you mean loading in the computer, then you need a faster processor.) AF should not be slower because of higher MP. They are independent. Of course, if the manufacturer spent its money/resources on a better sensor and used a cheap AF system... well then you'll get high MP, bad AF.

There are no inherent problems with cameras with higher optical zooms. This is actually a good thing, as optical zooms should be better than digital. Of course, any length zoom can be made badly. But the longer ones (> 5x) start to get harder and more expensive to make. It can be done (it has been done, the Nikon 5700, Minolta 7i family, I believe) but its harder. They even make 10x and 12x zooms... but not often.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 6:15 PM   #3
AK

Hi eric, thanks for the info... Very much appreciated. It's good to hear that higher MP and optical zoom don't result in any slowdown during shooting.

As for the Nikon cameras, I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix 5700, which has a macro of 3cm. Unfortunately, browsing user reviews I found several complaints about the speed of autofocussing (ie that the autofocus is rather slow; one described it as 'useless')....

thanks again, hopefully some other people will join in the discussion *hint hint*
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 6:24 PM   #4

Hi

I've got a 5700..
and love to make macro's...
Indeed the autofocussing is a little slow sometimes..
But not in a way i found irritating..

Even with my little experience i got good macro's out of the 5700....

it's a great camera overall...

good luck choising your camera

greetz
melanie
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote