Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1

Taken at sunset in a remote National Forest in Montana. I often feel pulling back on the zoom gives a much better wildlife shot than always trying to zoom up the animal's nose. Sometimes seeing them operate in the world around them is the better choice, and I think it applies here. One of the very distinct advantages of a good quality zoom over a prime.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:14 AM   #2

You made a good point about showing wildlife, and a great picture.
A cousin of mine made a distant picture of bear drinking from a stream--it's even a bit blurry--but a real winner.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:33 PM   #3

Thx, and I agree. Would like to see that bear pic.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 5:13 PM   #4

I also like animal scapes and this is a nice one. Colors are great, along with the scenery and the Moose are easy to pick out.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:45 PM   #5

You captured the granduer of the scene very well, putting the moose in their proper context. There is a middle ground, too, of course, but at the other extreme, framefilling ultracloseups of animals in the wild, whilerequiring more skill and effort,are often notmuch differentfromthose in a zoo.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:31 AM   #6

I agree.

Here's a closer image of this mother moose and her calf. Notice how she keeps the calf on the other side of perceived "danger":

I really enjoy both kinds of shots. This one was quite difficult due to the time of day (8 pm and low light). Still, I enjoy stalking actual wildlife. I know some folks like the zoo thing or filming their birdfeeders, but I need to get out there and be a part of nature. If I don't get the shot even that's good enough for me, just being out there experiencing rather than always "capturing" is important.

Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:19 AM   #7

#1 is wildlife cum beautiful natural scenery. Things in there wererecorded as they were, without the slightest bit ofexaggeration. It is this natural feeling that appeals to me. I am like standing on the other side of the bank, watching the moose crossing the river.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:14 AM   #8

Cool wild moose, really great shot!
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:04 AM   #9

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
#1 is wildlife cum beautiful natural scenery. Things in there wererecorded as they were, without the slightest bit ofexaggeration. It is this natural feeling that appeals to me. I am like standing on the other side of the bank, watching the moose crossing the river.

Thanks for the kind words! I set out to try and keep it as close to the actual scene as possible. Exaggerated colors IMHO take away from an image and can make mother nature go from subtle to tacky. My ultimate goal in doing this is making it as natural and as real to the scene as it could possibly be, no matter what the cost.Glad you liked it.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:31 PM   #10

Gallatin, What a wonderful capture. Nature is truly God's creation and one meant to be enjoyed. You're pics truly show the way it is meant to be seen. Thanks so much for sharing.

Mandy
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote