Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:17 PM   #1

The following shots were also obtained from yesterday's hike. I was standing on a hill when I noticed a raptor flying towards me. It was quite small and high up so I didn't even ID it until I got home and viewed it in photoshop.

1)

Going through the images, I laughed when I saw the hummer! I didn't even see him when I was shooting the Kestrel. You gotta give him credit. He might be a little fellah but he sure has a fighting spirit!

2)

Here's the last shot of the shame faced Kestrel before it flew off. He couldn't even hold his own against a little itty bitty hummer. Tsk tsk.

3)

This is not the same brave little Anna's Hummingbird that took on the Kestrel. I think it's a Rufous Hummingbird, but I wanted to include it in this post.

4)

Thanks for looking.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:21 PM   #2

WOW!!! :shock: That HB is absolutely off it's rocker! :? A very nice capture, Hung.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:41 PM   #3

great series! i especially like the 2nd shot... looks like a little fighter zooming in to attacka bomber! :lol: i've noticed a number of instances of smaller birds "attacking" or harassing much larger ones - in this case, there's no way that kestrel could catch the hummer anyway, not as twitchy and maneuverable as hummers are. usually,the big fellas get tired of being harassed, so they just fly away...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:13 PM   #4

Hung, you had a good hike. Very nice and clear shot of the Kestrel in flight! That is a super catch of the Hummer chasing the trespasser out of "his/her territory. They have no fear :-)

Edit: that little Hummer on the bottom is a cute one....I don't see those around my parts.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:28 PM   #5

A Rufous would be that cheeky and their high pitched noises might help dissuade the Kestrel. Great observance and catch.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:18 AM   #6

thats so typical of a small bird:-)I often see little willy wag tails attacking big birds. Ive seen them take on a wedgetail eagle. They are seriously crazy:!:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Going through the images, I laughed when I saw the hummer! I didn't even see him when I was shooting the Kestrel
What luck! That's one scrappy lady (too much white in the tail to be a male) - you couldn't have done better if you had tried! A Classic shot, if there ever was one.

Quote:
looks like a little fighter zooming in to attacka bomber!
When the WWII and post-war era aircraft spotters found out that they had mistaken a bird for an airplane, they called it a B 1 RD. Maybe you'd have to have been one to understand.

Quote:
I think it's a Rufous Hummingbird, but I wanted to include it in this post.
Rufous and Allen's are almost indistinguishable - the local breeder here is Allen's, so it is probably that this is one. Rufous are only present this far south in migration and in some in winter. Very nice portrait.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:55 PM   #8

Great shots. I guess those little guys are tougher than the look.

An associate of mine had a serious problem with woodpeckers pecking his house. He tried various solutions but nothing worked. Someone suggested that he put up hummer feeders. They said that once the hummers decided it was their territory they would fend off other birds.

My associate thought it was about 9 on a 10 scale of dumb ideas but he was desperate enough to try it. Sure enough, once the hummers settled in there were no more woodpeckers.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:58 PM   #9

Nice shots Hung, the hummer is a brave little bird and chases larger ones away from the feeder around here.

I have a shot of two swallows pecking a owl as it tries to get away.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:12 PM   #10

You done did really gooood again with this series. Mighty fine work.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote