Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:16 PM   #1

Here are a few random images....

Thats all.............

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:46 PM   #2

All great - I especially like the last sunrise sillhouette. What I want to know is how you got the bear to pose for you like that - what a hoot that one is! :lol:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:47 PM   #3

Quote:
What I want to know is how you got the bear to pose for you like that - what a hoot that one is!
I was at the Vince Shute wildlife sanctuary in Orr, MN. It is an area in which they have many bears (approx 30 when I was there) in hyperplasia and they come into the area for nuts and fruit and aretolerant to some extent to humans. They put the photogs who pay to go in the field with them through a safety class that explains what to do if they do a rush or if the young cubs try taking off with your camera bag etc... It was very interesting when a 600 lb plus male would venture on by... they make sure and tell you not to stare as it can be percieved as a challenge. All in all it was pretty mellow after you got used to the idea that a bear would be showing up silently almost out of nowhere at any time. They are quiet!!

If anybody has interest in doing a shoot with wild bears that come from miles away everyday to feed, you should fly in to Mpls and take the five hour drive up near the Canadian border and stop in. They do allow people to shoot from the deck above for a miniscule fee or you can get an all day pass for like $275.00 and be berry berry close.

It's me on the right hand side... they won't allow you to crouch down low as it can also be seen as a challenge. :roll:

One with cool chest markings that came right on by me.

Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:11 PM   #4

amazing shots mike. the color is just fantastic on the landscapes and the animals. my favorite shot is the 2nd hummer. the light on the background is just beautiful and the composition with the branches so nice. i only have 2 nits. on the first shot, the horizon looks just a bit tilted. and the shot of the orange bird ( is that an oriole?) just looks a tad oversaturated on my monitor. everything else is spot on.

i noticed that you use an external flash for the bears. does that scare/anger them?

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5

All excellent shots Mike. The Bear especially. I like your processing. Very vivid...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:16 PM   #6

I
Quote:
like your processing. Very vivid.
Agree with Don, great saturation, without clipping, VWD !! So nice to see the species you have on the backside of the globe:G:G:G, and shot so well !!Good stuff as always, Mike.
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:28 AM   #7

Flash didn't seem to affect them, it wasn't used too often however.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was out last night as I had a pass to the roof of Minnesota's State Capitol building and was able to get a sunset silhouette shot of downtown Minneapolis from Saint Paul.

Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:06 PM   #8

Beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:38 PM   #9

very beautiful. mike you should really print these out and frame them. i know i would!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:11 AM   #10

Thanks Flutelady.

Hung, I appreciate your comments and as you certainly know, these websized images don't do them justice. I have plans to partake in art shows next year and have high hopes for some of my shots... only time will tell. Thanks again for your kind words. :-)