Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:39 PM   #1

the pond's resident tricolor heron was posing for me tonight . . .

Attached Images

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:46 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3

Great pix....especially the acrobatic Heron in # 1.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4

Yes that first shot is great. Why is there so much noise in the second pic?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5

i agree... the first is quite good, but the second is spoiled by excessive noise and lack of clarity. i know the FZ30 is generally capable of pretty decent images, and even at ISO 300 isn't all THAT noisy, so this must've been a pretty severe crop...?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:00 AM   #6

thanks, all.

actually it is not a severe crop and i cancelled the sharpening. the only significant change made to the picture was bumping up the exposure. some of my pics come out noisy. i can only figure that it has to do with the lighting restrictions i shoot under . . . that is, i go out close to dusk and shoot partly into the sun.

the first pic was made earlier in my walk than the second so the light was better. i may have had the iso set for auto, too, altho' auto is only supposed to go up to 200. i have to check that.

ellen fl
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:50 PM   #7

For shots like the second one with lots of noise you might want to try Noiseware Pro. It works incredibly well in getting rid of digital noise. This is from default settings from a trial version of the softwarre. The grid lines are there until I register and make it full use.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:37 PM   #8

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
thanks, all.

actually it is not a severe crop and i cancelled the sharpening. the only significant change made to the picture was bumping up the exposure. some of my pics come out noisy. i can only figure that it has to do with the lighting restrictions i shoot under . . . that is, i go out close to dusk and shoot partly into the sun.

the first pic was made earlier in my walk than the second so the light was better. i may have had the iso set for auto, too, altho' auto is only supposed to go up to 200. i have to check that.

ellen fl
ellen,

the FZ-series cameras (i own an FZ20) are notorious for being rather noisy in low light. the best thing you can do with your FZ30 is lock the ISO at 100, that will help a lot. Bynx mentioned Noisware Pro softwareto help remove noise. I use one called NeatImage, you can download the demo version free, and it saves files with no grid lines or other embedded stuff. you can adjust the amount of noise reduction and sharpening it applies, and preview the results before you save it.

also, in the secondshot, it looks like the head is out of focus... maybe the FZ locked onto the heron's back? for any kind of wildlife shots, it's always best to try to focus on the eye, or at least the head.

the FZ's are excellent cameras within their limits, but they are at their best shooting static subjects in good light. they also don't handle extreme contrast well, and tend to either blow out highlights or leave dark shadows when confronted with an image with a lot of contrast. still, for what they are, and what they cost, they are very good performers, and i still keep mine handy for times when i don't want to lug my 40D and lenses around with me...

cheers,

Rocky
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:05 PM   #9

you can see from the first pic that i don't always get noise. maybe one of the other pics i took has better focus. i was just too thrilled with the pose. :roll:

i want to figure out how to make this camera work. it looks like my best bet, until i can change the time of day i go out, is to take pics from the north side of my subject. i hope this bird will pose for me again!

that noise program looks like it works much better than ps cs2's 'despeckle' feature.

thanks for all your comments . . . and for looking! :-)

ellen fl