Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:23 AM   #1

1) Red Winged Blackbird

2) There is a concrete platform almost water level down in the San Diego Creekbed right next to the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. It's a nice spot to sit and wait for birds in the late afternoon. However the best thing I like about this spot is that there are hardly any ants! It makes a difference when I am shooting lying flat on my belly.

At first I thought it was some type of Rail. However upon closer inspection, I think it's just an immature Moorhen.

3) The majority of the post processing work for this shot involved cloning out all the garbage in the background, namely styrofoam cups and plastic bags. We had a storm blow through here over the weekend and the water's edge of the san diego creek usually is littered with unsightly human garbage afterwards. Terrible...

4) I'm not too fond of spiders so when I came across this one, I didn't bother putting on my extension tube for macro work. I was perfectly fine with the minimum 3 meters focussing distance for this shot.

5) I was walking along one of the ponds when I spotted another bird photographer running down a path. He had a big tripod and camera hoisted over his shoulder and he was in a dead sprint. I knew he must have seen something very interesting for him to be running with that much gear. Without a second thought, I chased after him. It turns out that a bobcat had grabbed a coot from one of the ponds and was making it's way back to it's den. There is a very famous family of bobcats here in the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. People spot them occassionally, but few have photographed them.

This is a 100% crop taken from across the pond. Notice the short tail and the long lanky legs. If I had a better close up of the face you would be able to see the long whispy ears. When seen dry, this bobcat also has a slight leapord pattern on the fur of it's legs. I was very honored to come across and photograph this beautiful bobcat. This small family of bobcats has lived in the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary for a long time now. Every once in awhile, one of the kittens will sneak out onto the surrounding roads and get killed by a passing car. To see this bobcat out successfully hunting warms my heart very much.

Thanks for looking and commenting,

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:54 AM   #2

Nicely done Hung

That is the great part of wildlife, you never know what you may see.

Thanks for sharing
Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3

That bobcat must be used to people iftwo sprinting photographers didn't make it run for cover. One instance where a knowledge of human behavior was as important as a knowledge of animal behavior in getting the shot!

the RWBB is particularly nice - I like the pose; it looks like it is contemplating you.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4

Initially when the bobcat came out of the marsh reeds, it was scurrying to the other side of the pond. The othe photographer and I were way across the pond from the bobcat. It must have been a good 75 yards away from where we were. But there was a nonchalance about the way it was walking down the footpath after it saw that we were not pursuing it any further. I could have closed the distance more for a closer shot, but I really did not want to stress the bobcat more. I wanted to make sure that it got back to its den with its meal so that it could feed its kittens.

There are always walkings, runners, birders, and photographers hiking up and down the myriad of paths at SJWS, so I am sure those bobcats are quite use to our presence. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

- Hung

penolta wrote:
Quote:
That bobcat must be used to people iftwo sprinting photographers didn't make it run for cover. One instance where a knowledge of human behavior was as important as a knowledge of animal behavior in getting the shot!

the RWBB is particularly nice - I like the pose; it looks like it is contemplating you.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:39 PM   #5

Excellent shots Hung! It must have been a thrill to see the cat with it's catch. Well done!....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:40 PM   #6

Nice work, Hung. That is a super opportunity on the Bobcat and being able to get a nice shot of it. The others are no slouch either.... and good job of exposure on the RWBB.

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:44 PM   #7

Cool shots - especially the Bobcat. Seeing a wild cat is a dream come true!

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:35 PM   #8

Nice series, the bobcat gets a double nice capture from me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:38 PM   #9

excellent, hung!

yes, that second shot looks like a young moorhen. i have lots of those at my pond.

cool cat.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:05 PM   #10

Don't you just love it when you are at the right place at the right time ?
Very good shooting. Knowing the prefered hunting area and path home for this cat is a bonus for potential future shots. Really nice photo!
Kenn
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote