Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1

just thought i'd post a couple of pics for comparison between the 30D and 40D, for those who are wondering if the 40D isreally an improvement on the 30D. both were taken at about the same distance, under bright overcast conditions (though a bit brighter for the first one), and at about the same time of day. the first was shot at f/8, the second at f/5.6, so if anything, the first shot, from the 30D, should be the sharper of the two, but as you can see, it is not, nor are the colors as smooth, as the second one taken with my 40D. in particular, note the clarity and detail in the ends of the feathers, and the smoother color transitions. i know to get a true comparison, i need to take both cameras out and shoot the same subject at the same time with the same lens, but i haven't really had a chance to do that yet, and with the crap weather starting, i may not till spring! anyway, i though i'd post this to give you an idea of why i decided to spend the cash when i already have a perfectly good 30D...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:30 PM   #2

The second picture does look a bit sharper, but it would be a fairer comparison if the birds were the same, too- you are aware, of course, that the second one with the brown edged feathers is a juvenile, while the first is an adult? I don't use these cameras, so I don't know if this is an expected result, but I like the pictures - they're good shots.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:11 PM   #3

I have a friend who has a 30 D and I got to tell you his pictures are consistently sharp, well detailed.

I know the 40D is one evolutionary step more advanced than the 30D and the 30D with the 20D...but I have seen many pictures of his out of the 30 D and I don't necessarily believe a 40 D is capable of taking pictures, that are visually sharper than a 30 D.

They're both excellent cameras but I think you get to a certain level and it's hard to improve.

It gets down to lighting, lens quality, camera support (ie; tripod) etc.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:38 PM   #4

My eyes tell me #2 is the best. Nice captures Rocky.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:03 PM   #5

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I have a friend who has a 30 D and I got to tell you his pictures are consistently sharp, well detailed.

I know the 40D is one evolutionary step more advanced than the 30D and the 30D with the 20D...but I have seen many pictures of his out of the 30 D and I don't necessarily believe a 40 D is capable of taking pictures, that are visually sharper than a 30 D.

They're both excellent cameras but I think you get to a certain level and it's hard to improve.

It gets down to lighting, lens quality, camera support (ie; tripod) etc.
i agree with much of your comment, Les... but the 40D is a much bigger step from the 30D than the 30D was from the 20D. the 30D uses the same guts as its predecessor, with just a few tweaks like a bigger LCD and a faster frame rate. having used a 30D for a year and a half or so, i'm quite familiar with how good it is... i've gotten some killer shots with it myself. but the 40D is better. for instance, it can resolve 4x as many colors per channel as the 30D, and that alone gives the photos it takes a richer, smoother look - which i can see in the second of these two shots. the new Digic III image processing chip also has some more advanced features than the Digic II in the 20D/30D, and the sensor itself has been improved considerably. the 30D is, as you say, an excellent camera, but the 40D is very possibly the first APS-size sensor to seriously challenge the 5D for image quality. i've seen side-by-side comparisons between the 20D, 40D, and 5D, and i gotta tell ya, there wasn't enough difference between the 40D and 5D to notice, except at extremely high ISO (1600 and up) or in areas of very bright, low contrast. the 20D was a poor third, looking dull and washed out, with visibly lesscolor depthand clarity.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote