Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:31 PM   #1

Crow / Raven = Big Black Bird

I still get confused about if it is a crow or a raven. I just can't remember for some reason.

I had fun with this character, I used a crow call and every time I used it he looked at me sideways but would not turn and look right at me. Made me think he was telling me forget it I know its you not another "Big Black Bird"

How about a limb frame

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:35 PM   #2

FWIW a raven can coast in flight, while a crow cannot and must flap its wings continuously. Excellent detail especially on a black subject.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:59 PM   #3

dwssas wrote:
Quote:
FWIW a raven can coast in flight, while a crow cannot and must flap its wings continuously. Excellent detail especially on a black subject.
Thanks for the information dwssas, I didn't know that. Also thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:15 PM   #4

Good clear shot, Roger. That looks like a crow to me but probably in your area, I would think you would be more prone to see Ravens. The vast majority of crows I have ever been around are noisy and racuous. The ravens I have heard (mostly in the western states) have a softer call and are larger. Also have larger, thicker bills.

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:47 PM   #5

Looks like a crow...I think Ravens have a heavier beak.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:18 PM   #6

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
Good clear shot, Roger. That looks like a crow to me but probably in your area, I would think you would be more prone to see Ravens. The vast majority of crows I have ever been around are noisy and racuous. The ravens I have heard (mostly in the western states) have a softer call and are larger. Also have larger, thicker bills.

VP
Thanks Sabine for the nice comment and for taking the time to look. Since I never have figured it out I just call them Big Black Birds.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:18 PM   #7

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Hi to YA!!! Lesmore, thanks for taking the time to look and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:49 PM   #8

In New Mexico there are two species of crows and two of ravens, one of each smaller and up from Mexico, but probably confined to the drier lowlands. In eaither case, they should be easy to tell apartif you remember that ravens have wedge-shaped tails (as opposed to square ones) and larger bills.

The pictured bird has a square tail and a not overly large bill, and so is a crow.

According to Edgar Allen Poe, "quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore'" -- he lied (he took poetic license)! As has been mentioned, Ravens have a loud raspy bull-frog like croak (crows rather distinctly say "caw" also loudly, but not hoarsely).And as has also been mentioned Ravens can soar like eagles, while crows can sail or glide, but rarely can really soar (both also flap in flight), but ravens more slowly).

Now you know. :whack:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:05 PM   #9

penolta wrote:
Quote:
In New Mexico there are two species of crows and two of ravens, one of each smaller and up from Mexico, but probably confined to the drier lowlands. In eaither case, they should be easy to tell apartif you remember that ravens have wedge-shaped tails (as opposed to square ones) and larger bills.

The pictured bird has a square tail and a not overly large bill, and so is a crow.

According to Edgar Allen Poe, "quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore'" -- he lied (he took poetic license)! As has been mentioned, Ravens have a loud raspy bull-frog like croak (crows rather distinctly say "caw" also loudly, but not hoarsely).And as has also been mentioned Ravens can soar like eagles, while crows can sail or glide, but rarely can really soar (both also flap in flight), but ravens more slowly).

Now you know. :whack:
Thanks I know NOW. As far as remembering that is anybodys guess. Thanks for the information and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:51 PM   #10

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
they do... and they're quite a bit larger.

great shots, Roger... crows can be tough to expose properly, and you've done it very well.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote