Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:48 PM   #1

Could not even wait for the weekend as the weather was almost perfect - an all time high temp in October 25deg C.

This one is heavily cropped. If it was a K10D likely I have a better image. I have no clue if a 400 or 500mm is better for my BIF approach for manual lens.

No way that a human being can beat a heron when it comes to fishing

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:17 PM   #2

Very nice shots Daniel, as usual. Im curious where the shot was taken of the Heron. Id like to know where they are so tame.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:06 PM   #3

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Very nice shots Daniel, as usual. Im curious where the shot was taken of the Heron. Id like to know where they are so tame.

Hey , Bynx

Thanks for taking time to comment. For location, you may mapquest 1422 Victoria St W , Whitby.
There is the conservation area called Lynde Shore.
I suggest you go over there right this weekend. I saw at least 10 of them. They are about to migrate shortly.
GBH are usually tame. Finding them is the problem though. They can be stationary for 20-40 minutes while hunting slowing. They usu are at location with shallow water arund 1 ft deep waiting for passing fishes .

Daniel , Toronto
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:12 PM   #4

great shots daniel. i like that first one the best. i believe it is a greater yellow legs? the reflection adds nicely to the composition. you shoot with a k100d correct? what do you think the k10d has that would give you better images vs what you already have other than more megapixels to crop a bit more? increased autofocus points and speed is a moot point when using a manual focus lens right?

as far as using a 400 or 500 for bif, what i found is that the longer the focal length lens, the much more challenging it is to do. yes you get more reach, but you will find yourself zoomed out so far that it can be tough just to locate the bird in the air and then keep it in the viewfinder. also if you are shooting handheld, the hand shake gets magnified with longer lenses. it is doable and i know some people who shoot bif with a 500mm lens with a 1.4x tc on as well, but its not easy to say the least.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:55 PM   #5

hahaha Lynde Shore eh? I live about 10 minutes drive from there. Visit it all the time. All the birds and animals are so tame there it really is a special place. I didnt recognize the road behind the fisherman was Bayly (Victoria). The great reflections you got are because the water is so low it was more like shiny mud.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:33 PM   #6

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
great shots daniel. i like that first one the best. i believe it is a greater yellow legs? the reflection adds nicely to the composition. you shoot with a k100d correct? what do you think the k10d has that would give you better images vs what you already have other than more megapixels to crop a bit more?
Yes. That is what I believe k10D has an edge. But when it comes to noise, K100D excels
Quote:
increased autofocus points and speed is a moot point when using a manual focus lens right?
Agreed. Not helping at all

Quote:
as far as using a 400 or 500 for bif, what i found is that the longer the focal length lens, the much more challenging it is to do. yes you get more reach, but you will find yourself zoomed out so far that it can be tough just to locate the bird in the air and then keep it in the viewfinder.
My crazy way (tailored for Pentax or MF lens) and the challenge is entirely different from a typical AF approach. I rough focus/target my subject around 50 -60 ft. I wait for the subject and I fire in burst when the subject is within my range. The 1st one or two seconds are wasted usually. But I have improved my MF speed while panning that I will have the subject in focus the 2nd or 3rd second. I got that maybe after 5000 shots of my manual lens. I pan and I constantly adjust the focus ring until the subject fly out of my range. So far I am happy and my keeper rate keeps rising the last 2 months as you can see.
My focus skill (in screw mount and film days) comes back. But now we are not shooting film and wastage is nothing. Actually I would call this predictive focus tracking - manually and visually.
This had been done for ages. But of course it was not viable in film days.
I believe my skill is just roughly what you did (re hundred of BIF seagulls pict) in late 06 or early 07 when you were hitting the glass ceiling of AF limitation. When it comes to AF, Pentax is way below that of both Nikon and Canon

Quote:
also if you are shooting handheld, the hand shake gets magnified with longer lenses. it is doable and i know some people who shoot bif with a 500mm lens with a 1.4x tc on as well, but its not easy to say the least.
- hung
I am trying my 1.5 TC just today . I agree it is less doable.

Unlike you , I am not a hardcore wildlife shooter and I am into every aspect of photography. Remember this one
http://forum.pentaxfans.net/showthread.php?t=42101

You did give me a lot of pointers though

Daniel , Toronto
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:35 PM   #7

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
hahaha Lynde Shore eh? I live about 10 minutes drive from there. Visit it all the time. All the birds and animals are so tame there it really is a special place. I didnt recognize the road behind the fisherman was Bayly (Victoria). The great reflections you got are because the water is so low it was more like shiny mud.
I work 10 mintues away. Small world

At around 4 pm Friday after work, I was there. 2-3 GBH were close to the observation board walk. I only waited for in flight shots. Not much luck. But for stationary shot, not much can be improved unless I bring in my MUA (make up artist) for them. That tame.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:20 PM   #8

Daniel, if you check the HDR thread in OTHER PHOTOS last page you will see a couple of shots from Lynde Shore. One of the west side of the small bridge. The other the walkway to where you shot the Heron and Fisherman.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Unlike you , I am not a hardcore wildlife shooter and I am into every aspect of photography. Remember this one
http://forum.pentaxfans.net/showthread.php?t=42101
Quote:

You did give me a lot of pointers though

Daniel , Toronto
That was a classic shot Daniel. Everytime I see it, it brings a smile to my face. Not only is it a charming photo, it actually reveals a deeper truth about wildlife photography. So often we bird photographers get so caught up in the need to get a longer and longer focal length lens. We believe that having a bigger lens will give us a better picture. Not always true. If we can bring the subjects closer to us, then we can still get great shots, even with a fish eye lens! :G

Here is a shot that is similar. I was out with my daughter at the local pond. We were feeding ducks when in flies this black crowned night heron. It walked right up to about 1 foot from me expecting a piece of bread! I was so shocked. Who knew a heron would take bread like a duck! Lol! I took this shot with my 50mm f1.8 lens. Not exactly a "standard" lens in the world of birding photography!

Anyways, I admire your hardwork and tenacity at shooting BIF with a manual focus lens. Not many would even attempt it. Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more of your shots.

best regards,

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 6:17 AM   #10

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
That was a classic shot Daniel. Everytime I see it, it brings a smile to my face. Not only is it a charming photo, it actually reveals a deeper truth about wildlife photography. So often we bird photographers get so caught up in the need to get a longer and longer focal length lens. We believe that having a bigger lens will give us a better picture. Not always true. If we can bring the subjects closer to us, then we can still get great shots, even with a fish eye lens!* :G

Here is a shot that is similar. I was out with my daughter at the local pond. We were feeding ducks when in flies this black crowned night heron. It walked right up to about 1 foot from me expecting a piece of bread! I was so shocked. Who knew a heron would take bread like a duck! Lol! I took this shot with my 50mm f1.8 lens. Not exactly a "standard" lens in the world of birding photography!

- Hung
Wow a BCNH at such close range. I would be jumping for joy at that. My hands would be shaking too given a sight.

I think they follow a pattern. Shy birds (BCNH or WP in my case) were watching other birds being fed and they are off guard. Basically they think why not us instead of ducks or pigeons. So they came.
I recall in my case , 4 kids were swamped with chikadees asking for sunflower seeds. I was watching a few cardinals, bluejays and woodpeckers were circling in excitement and watching around. And they were ready to come down. And there came my woodpecker series. I love to do that with cardinals and bluejays. That would be precious.
Same went with your picture of BCNH as well. They need to be off guard and completely at ease for 20 minutes.
These stuff needs as much attention to details as bringing in RPG launcher lens, beamer and tripod. But just as much as fun if you can make it.

Daniel, Toronto