Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:29 AM   #1

Just got myself a new 80-200 nikkor 1:2.8 D lens, But Like i said, this is my first go at shoting Wildfowl, so if Anybody could give me any tips, i would be greatfull
anyways heres a few shots
regards
Doc
sorry heres a link, to them
http://www.jch-photomania.co.uk/Wildfowl/index.html
Doc-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:01 AM   #2

Hello doc and welcome to the forum!

I took a look through your wildlife portfolio. Quite nice really. The sharpness is spot on. I do have a few suggestions that you might want to experiment with.

1) Try to avoid having the subject right in the center of the frame. Try cropping it so that the subject has more room in front of it. This is especially important when it comes to bif (birds in flight). It gives the illusion of room for the bird to fly into which helps to capture the sense of motion/action.

2) When shooting birds on the ground, try to get down as low as possible. Sit down and crouch down on one knee. Sometimes if the situation allows it, I will even lay flat on my belly, especially for shots of birds on the water. The image that this creates really brings the viewer into the world of the bird instead of just looking down at it. Also it helps to create really nice oof backgrounds. When you shoot down at an angle, all you see is the water right there. But when you shoot at a low angle then there is much more separation between the bird and the background which makes for a nice creamy out of focus background. Give it a try.

That's it for now. Hope to see more of your pics here soon.

best regards,

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:48 PM   #3

Thanks for all your Suggestions Royce, will keep them in mind next time im out, once againg thank you for your help
Regards
Doc

Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:39 PM   #4

Let me add my welcome.
Very nice first try. I agree with Hung, focus and colors are excellent. He had two basic, but excellent tips for you. I would only add that if you can be aware of your background when shooting birds in flight, not that it's always possible. But if you can eleminate as much background clutter as possible it always helps. You had several very nice in flight shots that were made too busy be the background foliage. Not that you had any choice in that location. The main thing was that you were able to stop the action. That's 1st and formost.
I think you are off to a great start. Just keep shooting and you will pick up little tips here and there and in no time at all you'll be giving the advise.
Nice you have you on board,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5

Thank u Steve, nice tips
regards
Doc